Cam selection for 69 charger with vacuum headlights

General Mopar Tech Discussions

1. Jessejames

Jessejames Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:29 PM
    Hey guys,
    Putting a new motor together for my charger. Was wondering how big I can go on the cam. Not going to crazy. Just a hydraulic from bullitt most likely. I really like the 509 grind, but my engine builder thinks that's too big. Because I need enough vacuum to run the headlights. Any

2. 91r/t

91r/t FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    You got power brakes? Headlights use a vacuum reserve can under the battery tray so that may work, so I'd be more concerned for the power brakes if you run those. I have a 244 @.050 cam with .539 lift and my power brakes work but not great. I use the vacuum canister for the headlights to assist the booster with a jumper vacuum line I made but it is on the hairy edge for sure! My cam is also ground on a 110 degree lobe separation, which helps a bit over the 108 that most MP cams are ground on. If you could go to a 112 degree lobe separation you could get away with higher lift and a bit more duration. That will help keep your vacuum up a bit over the shorter, choppier cams.

3. Jessejames

Local Time:
    Thank you!! I am running manual brakes

• Like Like x 1
    • 91r/t

91r/t FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Yea I tested my headlights with a pump and they seem to actuate at 7-8 in/Hg from what I remember. Anything above that will actuate the headlights. Use a hand vacuum pump and test yours to double check.

• 68Moparmaniac

68Moparmaniac Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      1:29 PM
      Be sure to do a vacuum leak down on your headlight actuators, I found one of mine wouldn't hold vacuum. After costing the replacement actuators ($265.00 ea.) I decided to go with the electric conversion kit. Simple kit, easy install, a vacuum leak is still a leak brother...just sayin
      previous
      hle2.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Jessejames

Local Time:
        Thank you brother! That was another question I had... I figured the electric kit would be a pain to do. Thank you for clearing that up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.