• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam Wiped Lobes Now What?

Roadrunner40

Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
I recently removed my Racer Brown Cam .510 .241 and installed the Lunati .268 Voo Doo hydraulic cam in my 440. I broke in like I do every other one, in same motor. Now I have 5 wiped Intake lobes.
I know I have to tear down and clean. My question is, can I get away with the scratches in the cylinders or will it have to be re honed? I have attached pics. One is in #7 are the most notable, if you run your finger nail across them you barely feel them. The pics are in order on the left bank 1,3,5,7. The engine has maybe a 100 miles on it since build last year. Let me know, Thanks

3888A237-FB60-47B4-9140-A23C9ED57713.jpeg A5B26143-FF8B-4933-A82C-30006CB5789E.jpeg B5EBDF60-8635-46BB-A603-0CCC66B430FA.jpeg 28A1BF6D-9D37-4EC8-BF2B-CBB3DDC61CD0.jpeg

Last edited:
A quick hone wouldn't hurt. You gotta pull it apart anyways, to clean the trash out off all the oil galleries. Pull the cam plug from the back of the motor too, alot of grindings stay there.
I'm not a fan of Lunati, never was. A friend of mine bought one for his Pontiac engine and the cam journals were .002" over sized. Wouldn't go in the motor.
If they can't get their machining right, what makes you think they can get their case hardening right.

Ok who do you like for cams?
You know what? I'm not sure any more.
I some times feel more comfortable with someones used cam, then blindly ordering a new one because of the quality issues.
If the lobes are still on a used one, then at least you know, it was hardened correctly.

Maybe if you don't mind, post up some pics of the wiped cam too? Interested to see the damaged lobes..

You know what? I'm not sure any more.
I some times feel more comfortable with someones used cam, then blindly ordering a new one because of the quality issues.
If the lobes are still on a used one, then at least you know, it was hardened correctly.
I agree I have had no problems with Jim’s cams Racer Brown. I just don’t know if he uses the newer fast ramps everyone is going with or not??? I will say that the Lunati cam impressed me a lot!! I don’t know if that is because of the newer ramps or not

Already got money back today
That's the right thing to do. Chineseium is so low cost and abundant it costs the supplier nothing to send you a replacement, but a refund hits them hard.

I agree I have had no problems with Jim’s cams Racer Brown. I just don’t know if he uses the newer fast ramps everyone is going with or not??? I will say that the Lunati cam impressed me a lot!! I don’t know if that is because of the newer ramps or not
Fast ramps? Did you change the valve springs for that cam?

That's the right thing to do. Chineseium is so low cost and abundant it costs the supplier nothing to send you a replacement, but a refund hits them hard.
Yes and will Never buy another one. Broke it in the same way Jim told me to. No cranking time fired right up immediately went to 2000-2500 varying between for 20 minutes then back down slow. Don’t understand.

Deglaze cylinders with a ball hone (NOT a rigid 3 fingers of death glazebreaker). I use Joe Gibbs Driven assembly grease for the cam and lifters, and us their BR oil for break-in of the cam. After break-in, continue to use a high zinc oil such as Joe Gibbs Driven HR1 oil.

Deglaze cylinders with a ball hone (NOT a rigid 3 fingers of death glazebreaker).
Ok I’m just worried about Pistons I don’t want to rebore those are JE Pistons. So is this something I could do from home or take to machine shop?

Ok I’m just worried about Pistons I don’t want to rebore those are JE Pistons. So is this something I could do from home or take to machine shop?
It will cost about $65 to $85 for a ball hone, so it would be advisable to take it to a shop. I charge $20 to do it, and $25 for the wash.

No double springs but only about 295 open so don’t think I need to remove center coil
The Beehive valve spring, by design, has a variable spring rate.
It was this advancement in springs that allowed for fast ramps.
There is next to no presure to initally open the valve and the spring only gets to 295# at max lift.
I think your valve springs, took out your cam.
Did you tell Lunati you were using those springs? If not...DON'T

Auto Transport Service
Back