• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camber on a '73 charger

Jonny

Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
ok everyone. The other day i replaced my idler arm and it REALLY messed up my alignment (melted tires messed it up). So I took it to mr. tire to have them redo the alignment and they couldn't figure out how to adjust the camber. I have 3 different repair manuals and have google searched and I can't find anything helpful.
The repair manuals say "take it to a shop to do camber" and the best thing on google I found was a link here saying...
On 73-74 B bodies the camber/caster is adjusted on the shaft mount. (It's on a slider)
and
It has to be done on a front end machine. Don't trust a new guy just outa tech school either. Check around for a shop thats been in business for awhile.

I have no idea where the "shaft mount" is nor found anything that looked like a slider when i crawled under there to look. Anyone have anything a bit more specific? or a picture of what I am looking for? Thanks!!!:idea1:

I cant help you but it don't sound like you should go back to that shop again. Find one with some one working there that knows what there doing.

Here is a picture of your frond end.
The bar that sits just above the frame sits on bolts that slide in elongated holes.
Moving the upper control arm in and out sets the camber.
A ggod front end shop will align it in no time.
If they don't knowhow, they ain't good.

73Charger.jpg

I thought the 73 was a B body and was set up similar to the older cars that used the cam adjusters? Jonny, does your car's front end look like what's in the pic?

I thought the 73 was a B body and was set up similar to the older cars that used the cam adjusters? Jonny, does your car's front end look like what's in the pic?

That's 71 -72 Cranky, 73 - 74 are like the pic above.

Ok, thanks! Haven't had much experience with anything newer than 70....except for Challengers and Cudas and they were the same as the older cars.

Ok, thanks! Haven't had much experience with anything newer than 70....except for Challengers and Cudas and they were the same as the older cars.

Yeah I did some head scratching when I wanted to order all my parts because every shop around tried to order me the cam style, some of the books they had even called for the cams for the 73-74 B-bodies.

One other thing I found when ordering the strut rod bushings is that every one selling after market bushings has the wrong bushings for 73-74's they try to pass off the smaller 60-70's style...They don't work,I have 3 sets here if anyone needs some.

Here is a pic.The shaft is to short and the bushings are not big enough around to fit 73-74 B bodies strut rod.
Just a heads up for any one reading along :)
ens-3-7109r_w.jpg

Some good info on that!! It amazes me at all the misinformation out there about our cars from 741 rears are junk to the 'you have to change the K frame out when you go to a big block from a small block' crap. The info about the K frames is pretty much out there now but the issue about the rears is still ingrained really deep.

Your 73 has what is called sliding upper control arms. But the first thing you need to do is make sure you don't have the idler arm upside down. Now to adjust caster/camber on a front end machine. Raise the front of the car, look behind the top of the front tires. You'll see two nuts where the upper control arm bolts to the frame by the shaft. The bolt holes in the shafts are elongated so you can loosen the nuts and slide the control arm into spec. I like to start with max+ caster then work up my camber. Its very, very, very simple.

Its very, very, very simple.
Yup....and I don't understand why alignment shop techs have such a hard time with the older cars. I got tired of messing with them and learned how to do it myself! I like all the caster I can get too and with a lot of Mopars, getting very much isn't always very easy. I also like a good deal of negative camber....

Some good info on that!! It amazes me at all the misinformation out there about our cars from 741 rears are junk to the 'you have to change the K frame out when you go to a big block from a small block' crap. The info about the K frames is pretty much out there now but the issue about the rears is still ingrained really deep.

True,now if you have a 73-74 B body you do need to swap the K's to go big block unless you buy Scumacher conversion mounts I think this is where the whole K swap thing started for other year cars???

lucky around here. 4-5 yrs. ago i finished my bow tie project and needed
front alignment. took it to a shop with the latest and greatest equipment
to no avail. it didn't register in the computer. snooped around and found a guy with the older stuff and had it done in about half an hour.
brought the b-body home, 2 yrs ago, noticed some inside wear on
tires and back to the same shop. counter guy books me in next morning. car goes in and 5 min. later out it comes. the tech, who is a good guy, comes and tells me no way. brand new rack and it is not in the computer. turned me onto another guy with the older rack.

Back in highschool auto shop, I used to be able to get mine (or "client's" Mopars) to with in about 3% of spec just by feel. Bet I can't do that now!

Most common thing overheard at alignment shops..."Where do you put the shims??"

There's a guy around here that's really old school. He still balances tires on the car with the old under wheel spinner. (balances brakes, too, and burns rubber getting them up to speed), and he has a 69 Road Runner, so I know he knows what he's doing.

I have 74 and didn't even notice it was different.
Thanks for the info.

Back in highschool auto shop, I used to be able to get mine (or "client's" Mopars) to with in about 3% of spec just by feel. Bet I can't do that now!

Most common thing overheard at alignment shops..."Where do you put the shims??"

There's a guy around here that's really old school. He still balances tires on the car with the old under wheel spinner. (balances brakes, too, and burns rubber getting them up to speed), and he has a 69 Road Runner, so I know he knows what he's doing.

I have 74 and didn't even notice it was different.
Thanks for the info

71-72 "K's" are solid mounted to the rails.

73SB-74BB b-body k members interchange, the 73-74's use rubber isolators to mount to the rails.

71,72's use different suspension,spindles and torsion bars also the shocks mounting locatons are way different between 71,72(in engine bay) and the 73,74 (in the wheel well)

71-72 use old style motor mounts 73-74 use spool mounts.

73-74 Small block cars have a small removable access panel on both inner fenders to help change plugs.

73-74 Big block cars have the same removable access panel on the drivers inner fender but have a large opening covered by a rubber flap on the passengers side to help make room for the big blocks other wise there isn't much room for the exhaust manifold.

Here in the first pic is my 74 Satellite SB K-frame VS an older style K-frame out of a 69 Charger.

31649860065_large.jpg
dc0035l.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back