• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camshaft Conundrum

Cheapsunglasses

In Rust We Trust!
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
Oh decisions decisions. I have a 68 GTX, it has a 69 low performance 440 out of New port. The engine has a bladder control issue and can’t keep oil in it. It’s either the pan or the rear main seal. I know these are things that can be done with the engine in the car, but that’s a pain in the ***, I might as well pull it and seal it. Since the engine will be out, I was thinking of pulling granny’s church going cam, and possibly putting a more muscle car cam in it, not a super muscle car cam, just a little more.

Now the big issues are money, power brakes, hp manifolds for now, and drivability. We all know the money game so let’s just skip that, and the money game is why I’m skipping headers too. I’ve been happy with the 350hp, it’ll do burnouts, and it makes noise, but it just doesn’t sound right, my 375hp muscle car, has grandpas 350 hp engine in it.

Now that I’ve explained the situation, I’ll get into the details, and maybe someone smarter then me will have something to say. I have 440 source heads, a performer 440 intake (not rpm, regular performer) and an edelbrock 800cfm avs2. The transmission is a Frankensteined 833 od gear set in an iron case, and I have a 3.55 gear 8 3/4. My car is mainly a cruiser, I love road trips, I love driving it. But like any muscle car owner, I like burnouts, and having fun. What’s a good budget friendly cam for me?

Isky 270 Mega. If you don't want a cam/lifter fail, have your old lifters refaced.

Isky 270 Mega. If you don't want a cam/lifter fail, have your old lifters refaced.
I would love to have a batch to send in for this service.
Anyone know a shop that does this on the West coast?

I would love to have a batch to send in for this service.
Anyone know a shop that does this on the West coast?
I have been wondering who in the entire US does this service.

Lifter resurfacing on the west coast is below. Personally if your going the lifter resurfacing route I would get the cam from Schneider and let them resurface your lifters.

Egge Machine
D. Elgin cams
Schneider Racing cams

Schneider Racing Cams

My opinion on this might not be popular, but is based on 45 years of experience driving GTXs on the street. I've never been a racer. Back in the day, the dealer who owned my current GTX as his personal car removed the stock HP 440 camshaft, and replaced it with what you have in your current 440. All the other components were left factory original. This car is an automatic with a 3:23. The back story is that his wife used the car for grocery shopping, and she never liked the stock rumpty rump idle. The GTX has a predictably smooth idle, lots of torque, and feels as strong as any of my previous 440 cars up to 80 mph.

I previously owned a stock 4-speed GTX. It originally came with a Hemi grind Mopar Performance camshaft, everything else stock original. With the factory first gear ratio it was IMO a pain on the street, especially trying to start on a hill, common situation in PA. I had that cam swapped for a Comp Cam that was as close to the factory spec as possible. It was an improvement (I had a stock 833, hooked to a stock 3:54 Dana, with 27 inch rubber). A Ford buddy of mine drove the car, and said it sucked. After driving his '64 Galaxie rat rod, with a hopped up 390, combined with a motor home camshaft and a wide ratio 4-speed, I wasn't inclined to argue with him.

My two cents, for how you are using the car, and budget considerations, I would keep the cam you have. Also interesting to me, was that in the 28 years the previous owner had my GTX, he never realized that it had the milder camshaft.

Last edited:
My opinion on this might not be popular, but is based on 45 years of experience driving GTXs on the street. I've never been a racer. Back in the day, the dealer who owned my current GTX as his personal car removed the stock HP 440 camshaft, and replaced it with what you have in your current 440. All the other components were left factory original. This car is an automatic with a 3:23. The back story is that his wife used the car for grocery shopping, and she never liked the stock rumpty rump idle. The GTX has a predictably smooth idle, lots of torque, and feels as strong as any of my previous 440 cars up to 80 mph.

I previously owned a stock 4-speed GTX. It originally came with a Hemi grind Mopar Performance camshaft, everything else stock original. With the factory first gear ratio it was IMO a pain on the street, especially trying to start on a hill, common situation in PA. I had that cam swapped for a Comp Cam that was as close to the factory spec as possible. It was an improvement (I had a stock 833, hooked to a stock 3:54 Dana, with 27 inch rubber). A Ford buddy of mine drove the car, and said it sucked. After driving his '64 Galaxie rat rod, with a hopped up 390, combined with a motor home camshaft and a wide ratio 4-speed, I wasn't inclined to argue with him.

My two cents, for how you are using the car, and budget considerations, I would keep the cam you have. Also interesting to me, was that in the 28 years the previous owner had my GTX, he never realized that it had the milder camshaft.
Yeah I know my budget and what I’m doing with the car, the engine is fun, does what I need it to do. But even though it’ll probably screw a perfectly good engine, I’d like to play around a little bit

Is lifter resurfacing expensive?
You would have to call them and check. Lifter Resurfacing

I recall it being about $8-$12 a lifter depending on the diameter. You could also get a NOS set or older set of Johnson’s. IMHO, the only flat tappet hyd lifters that are worth using new (TODAY) are HLJ, (Hylift Johnson- Topline) they are well over $200 now. HLJ make lifters for other companies like Rhoads. Some cam companies sell HFJ, Bullet, Jones cams, Schneider, and many others use and sell HLJ lifters. Not sure who make Isky’s lifters, I think they are good, looking at the price my guess is HLJ also. Crower’s are not HLJ anymore unless they advertise them as Johnson’s. Everything else that is less than $200 for a HFT lifter for a mopar is a crap shoot, soft junk with poor tolerances. Some get lucky using them, some don’t.

I like that Crower 271 with the wider LSA for the big gears jumps on the OD tranny. Schneider could grind a cam out to 112 like the Crower to make it more street friendly.. Bullet can also. I doubt there are any Crower 271’s on hand anywhere.

On a Budget the summit 6401 with a good set of lifter works well too.

Last edited:
I pay about $8 a lifter here for re-facing. Except for Chebbies, probably cheaper than buying new. However, with today's lifters made of crap-anium, I would gladly pay double that because I know I will have good lifters.

How is first gear with the 3.55 rear?

I'm assuming that's a truck OD unit.

I’ve read it’s 3.09, I think I’ve also read 3.19 or something like that.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Don sent me a message about the summit cam, I’ll go that route because of cost.
:thumbsup:

Yeah, that's my question-

How's the 3.09 first with 3.55 final?

Is it real short?

What size tires?

Do you find you do a lot of 2-3/3-2 (cross gate) shifting?

27” tires, it’s a little short but not too bad. I think 3.55 is the lowest you can go, a 3.73 or lower would make it worse. But with then with the 3.55s there’s kinda of a 3rd is too much, and od is too little for 60mph. It’s not the most ideal transmission, but it’s the cheap option for bolt in overdrive

I’m keeping Dons summit cam in my back pocket. But I was talking with my uncle (I know everyone had that uncle lol) he was a street racer and built dirt track cars. He suggested a Lunati Voodoo 703. I’d have to save a little more, and I’d probably need headers, but does anyone have any say on Lunati in general, and that cam, good street manners? Good vacuum at idle? I might need to add my clutch is the basic McLeod 400hp rated clutch, am I at risk with any of these cams?

compression test it before pulling, make sure you don't have blowby pushing the oil out

compression test it before pulling, make sure you don't have blowby pushing the oil out
Yes, thank you. I’m going through and checking everything, going through this engine, I know all the maintenance procedures. I started this thread because I got to thinking while it’s out I want to change the cam, put a little more pep in it’s step. I’ve never done any performance building, so I’m asking for suggestions on cams. So many variables, and so much fun!

I have a Lunati solid flat tappet cam in my car.

Lunati specs.JPG

The numbers make it seem pretty wild but it idles with only a slight lope. The car was faster than ever with this cam when I ran it last time. I have Howards EDM direct oiling lifters.

It is too much for a low compression stock stroke 440 but the Lunati name is a good one.

Auto Transport Service
Back