• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camshaft help?

raymond73

Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
Hi can some one recomend a camshaft for My 440 in My 70 cuda.
Its a 440 030 over. IT has old 2266f trw pistons forged crank and rods. IT has stock 906 heads now and a 241@50 484 lift mp camshaft. But i have a set of trickflow 240 heads and 1.6 roller rockers i want to use on this but need a New camshaft.. I have 3.54 rear end and a 2800 stall 10". I have a edelbrock rpm and a 780 hr quick fuel carburator.. I also have a nitrous plate 100hp.
Its a street driver with a cuple trips to the strip.. I have look at the voodoo 703/704 but i dont know if they have the lift needed for the 240 heads? I see some grinds from Howard has more lift but i have No clue at this?
Any recomend camshaft here??

Ive had fairly good luck with Hughes camshafts. Something like this one might work well with your trick flow heads.

0DF85210-B15A-4B77-A031-317077E83C71.jpeg

I race a 69 Valiant with a fairly very similiar combo:

440/030 with same pistons
Performer RPM with 750 Demon
Similar stall with 3.91 Gears
No Nitrous.
A real budget build

Trouble free Weekend Driver and Regular Drag Racer
for last 10 years or a little more.
Multiple LVMS Track Championships in Pro bracket. an Sportsman.

Runs 10.80's @ 119MPH up here
3000 ft Adjusted Elevation in Las Vegas and often 100+Degrees.
Runs through Mufflers/Air Cleaner
Never had a chance to run at Sea Level or bother to open the only
2 1/2 Exhaust

440 Source 1.6 rockers and 150 on Valve Seat and 370 Open.
Shifting 5800 to 6000 ( Stock LY rods and Lower end ) and Very
Heavy Heavy Rotating Weight!!

Comp 21 -229 -4 Hydraulic Camshaft
251/257 @ .050
.564 lift with 1.5 Rockers
Put in 2 Deg. advanced after testing

I have just a bit over .100 clearance but no evidence of it ever
touching and my heads are cut to 75CC.

I race a 69 Valiant with a fairly very similiar combo:

440/030 with same pistons
Performer RPM with 750 Demon
Similar stall with 3.91 Gears
No Nitrous.
A real budget build

Trouble free Weekend Driver and Regular Drag Racer
for last 10 years or a little more.
Multiple LVMS Track Championships in Pro bracket. an Sportsman.

Runs 10.80's @ 119MPH up here
3000 ft Adjusted Elevation in Las Vegas and often 100+Degrees.
Runs through Mufflers/Air Cleaner
Never had a chance to run at Sea Level or bother to open the only
2 1/2 Exhaust

440 Source 1.6 rockers and 150 on Valve Seat and 370 Open.
Shifting 5800 to 6000 ( Stock LY rods and Lower end ) and Very
Heavy Heavy Rotating Weight!!

Comp 21 -229 -4 Hydraulic Camshaft
251/257 @ .050
.564 lift with 1.5 Rockers
Put in 2 Deg. advanced after testing

I have just a bit over .100 clearance but no evidence of it ever
touching and my heads are cut to 75CC.
Thanks that is a super Nice Et that combo has to be very good how is the low end tourqe in that?

1.51 to 1.52 with the wheels usually up about 6 Inches in the air.
Stalling about 2500 on foot brake.
It would be a bit quicker (A few hundreds) with a little more stall speed
but it would ruin it's street manners and I have plenty of dedicated Drag
Cars.

Google: John Irving Drag Racer
to see a 1/2 Dozen

1.51 to 1.52 with the wheels usually up about 6 Inches in the air.
Stalling about 2500 on foot brake.
It would be a bit quicker (A few hundreds) with a little more stall speed
but it would ruin it's street manners and I have plenty of dedicated Drag
Cars.

Google: John Irving Drag Racer
to see a 1/2 Dozen
Thanks for super info

Is there a reason your looking for a hydraulic cam instead of a solid?
Are you trying to run power brakes?
Compression as described likely 9.1-9.2:1.

Is there a reason your looking for a hydraulic cam instead of a solid?
Are you trying to run power brakes?
Compression as described likely 9.1-9.2:1.
I can use a solid..i am open for all but not a roller because My budget is not the best right now. Yes i have power brakes... Do you think its only 9.1 in it? I know the 2266f is a low comp deal... The 240 heads has 78cc and i have cometic. 027 thick..

You will be a little higher 9.3-9.4 w a .027... that was figured w a .039 and .1 down the deck. To know exactly measure how far your pistons are down the deck.
Absolutely get a solid cam!!!
If your comparing hydraulic to solid @ .050 duration numbers..... add +8 degrees to the hydraulic numbers and you will be close to the solid.
Having enough vaccuum to run your brakes will be your limit on the cam. We have been getting custom ultradyne/bullet cams in most our cars with vacuum brakes.

You will be a little higher 9.3-9.4 w a .027... that was figured w a .039 and .1 down the deck. To know exactly measure how far your pistons are down the deck.
Absolutely get a solid cam!!!
If your comparing hydraulic to solid @ .050 duration numbers..... add +8 degrees to the hydraulic numbers and you will be close to the solid.
Having enough vaccuum to run your brakes will be your limit on the cam. We have been getting custom ultradyne/bullet cams in most our cars with vacuum brakes.
I had a bullet in the procharger 505 i build to the 69 charger it was Nice but bullet charged me 250$ in shipping to Norway normal is 70$ Just for a camshaft shipping... So solid with edm lifters?

I had a bullet in the procharger 505 i build to the 69 charger it was Nice but bullet charged me 250$ in shipping to Norway normal is 70$ Just for a camshaft shipping... So solid with edm lifters.
Yikes that is terrible on the shipping. We did a custom cam from Bullet and shipped it overseas and it wasn't bad. I think we used a courier service though.
The Edm lifters are a good idea but optional. There is a third option...There are a few companies making tool steel lifters. The price of edm lifters is getting closer to the tool steel $.
I am sharing a link...but FWIW we haven't tried these yet. If you tell them they add edm oiling for no charge. 1/2 the price of comp cams tool steel solids.

SBC/BBC FORD & MOPAR BILLET TOOL STEEL FLAT TAPPET LIFTERS for sale in WILMINGTON, NC, Price: $300

Last edited:
Yikes that is terrible on the shipping. We did a custom cam from Bullet and shipped it overseas and it wasn't bad. I think we used a courier service though.
The Edm lifters are a good idea but optional. There is a third option...There are a few companies making tool steel lifters. The price of edm lifters is getting closer to the tool steel $.
I am sharing a link...but FWIW we haven't tried these yet. If you tell them they add edm oiling for no charge. 1/2 the price of comp cams tool steel solids.

SBC/BBC FORD & MOPAR BILLET TOOL STEEL FLAT TAPPET LIFTERS for sale in WILMINGTON, NC, Price: $300
I order a lot from around usa for me and friends and My Sister lives in jupiter Florida so she help me with some shipping but bullet scam me on that shipping... I order the trickflow 240 heads from B3 racing engines now in may and super service and shipping... That rpm brand is new? I have seen a crank in that brand looking realy good

I order a lot from around usa for me and friends and My Sister lives in jupiter Florida so she help me with some shipping but bullet scam me on that shipping... I order the trickflow 240 heads from B3 racing engines now in may and super service and shipping... That rpm brand is new? I have seen a crank in that brand looking realy good
I am pretty sure this is a machine shop not the company your thinking of w cranks. They say they make lifters for bigger aftermarket companies. So buying from them direct is a considerable savings.
I would call and talk to them before I bought.

I am pretty sure this is a machine shop not the company your thinking of w cranks. They say they make lifters for bigger aftermarket companies. So buying from them direct is a considerable savings.
I would call and talk to them before I bought.
Hi this engine build has snow ball a bit... Its now the same tf 240 heads and 1.6 rockers but a ultralight 4.250 crank 7.100 rods and 10.6 icon. So 505 cid but i Will try to make all power under 6000 rpm because No girdle and stock caps on arp studs. I have a hydft lunati 10230705 and some old nos jhonsen lifters. but Will i leave a lot on table Vs a solid ft?? Or do you have a of self cam recomend for this??

Lol, I am familiar with how things can snowball.
I dont think you will be pushing the block much with that cam, the hydraulics cams tend to run out of rpm a lot quicker then a solid. Also the hydraulics lifters have some give they will make less power across the whole power band (comparing cams of the Same size). A solid can be ground more aggressively. Since trick flows like lift the hydraulic will leave power on the table...as to how much??? Depends on what your comparing to.

...The 705 voodoo isn't real big in a 505, specs posted below if someone is curious. The 1.6s will help. On a budget I wouldn't be afraid of it. The hylift Johnsons have a stock type and a performance lifter...not sure what you have?
We have a couple cams we like we are running on the street: solid ultradyne 255/[email protected] .586/.601 w 1.5s ; solid roller 268/273 @ .050 .635 lift; Both grinds like 1.6s and neither is all that radical and pretty streetable in a 505. The roller is more powerful but does give up some street manners.

Screenshot_20221031-220332_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for info the numbers i hope for is 600/600 before 6000 rpm.. I dont have a girdle so i dont like to spin it to mutch... The lifters are standard i think i get those of big jim on this forum. To bad the roller is so $$$ but maby a solid and a New set of Springs? I have stock pac Springs for hyd ft on those 240 heads.

It's hard to find much for a hydraulic cam w TF240s. Lots of solids. Easy to get to your goals with a solid. I would suspect you can get there w a voodoo 705 with some tuning a tweek here and there. The solid used is pretty modest in this build.
470 TrickFlow 240 Solid Flat Tappet Cam Dyno Results

Last edited:
It's hard to find much for a hydraulic cam w TF240s. Lots of solids. Easy to get to your goals with a solid. I would suspect you can get there w a voodoo 705 with some tuning a tweek here and there. The solid used is pretty modest in this build.
470 TrickFlow 240 Solid Flat Tappet Cam Dyno Results
Yes i think solid i the way to go..but i think i Will try the 705 and see. I have a 100hp plate kit i can use when i need it... Its not easy to get hold of parts now!! Do you know how long they need at bullet now? A friend is going over to us Atlanta in december... Free shipping in his suitcase!!!

I would get bullet called very soon for December. For technical help we ask for Tim Goolsby, but I would guess anyone would know how far out they are w flat tappets. I think it's been hit n miss on cam cores.

Auto Transport Service
Back