• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camshaft Identifcation Help?

someoneanywhere

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Hello.
Could you give me some help to identify the camshaft from my 67 440HP?
The engine had 1500 miles on it from a complete overhaul by a professional mopar engine builder (or so the sales chatter was). I tore it down having driven the 67 Charger it came in about 200 miles. Suddenly lost oil pressure idling in driveway with valve clatter. Found: #2 cyl. intake pushrod broken hyd. lifter out of it's bore. #5 cylinder exh. pushrod and lifter out of their places.
No cam damage.
DSCF2460.1a.jpg
DSCF2461.1a.jpg
DSCF2465.1a.jpg
DSCF2467.1a.jpg
DSCF2469.1a.jpg

The pushrods appear to be a crude bench grinder length set job.

I attached the lifter image as a friend told me he thinks they are Crane Cams lifters thus perhaps cam and lifters were a set.

Thank you.

I think its likely a comp cams 268 with a 108 degree lobe separation angle.
Chevy grind.

What he means is that it is a Chevy lobe profile, ground on a mopar cam blank. Chevy uses a smaller diameter lifter than Ford or mopar, so if you grind a safe profile for a chevy, it can be used on anything.
What he is saying is that your cam doesn't take advantage of the possibility of a better grind for the larger mopar lifters.

that is a regrind. see the dowel cut and ground off that is not what i would put in my engine call a cam company and have them grind a new one off cam for your engine dont buy off the shelf cam shaft mopars are different from any brand -x

More importantly what's the deal with the pushrods?

More importantly what's the deal with the pushrods?
Yep, exactly my quandary!
Somewhere I think I'd seen a tech article or a series of forum postings about 440 pushrod/lifter toss syndrome and the required proper pushrod measuring techniques. But of course now I can not find it again!

that is a regrind. see the dowel cut and ground off that is not what i would put in my engine call a cam company and have them grind a new one off cam for your engine dont buy off the shelf cam shaft mopars are different from any brand -x
Yes, indeed I understand. I'll not be putting it back in.

What he means is that it is a Chevy lobe profile, ground on a mopar cam blank. Chevy uses a smaller diameter lifter than Ford or mopar, so if you grind a safe profile for a chevy, it can be used on anything.
What he is saying is that your cam doesn't take advantage of the possibility of a better grind for the larger mopar lifters.
Thank you.
I do not need or in fact care for rip the tire off the rim fire breather neck snapping performance launch off to get the groceries anyway... well er not in elder years ;-)!

Auto Transport Service
Back