• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can anyone identify this mystery '74 Charger ignition part?

WheelsOfTerror

Local time
3:22 PM
Reaction score
Hi Mopar friends!

I was tracing my big yellow ignition wire from the key cylinder, through the firewall harness and followed it to this component- no part number, no nothing.

There's a rubber button on top; the wire goes in and out of this thing, and I think it might be my failure point. Anyone know what the hell it is?

IMG_3236.JPG IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3238.JPG

I think you just saved me a lot of heartache staring at a wire diagram. THANKS DUDE!!

You're welcome, there is info and diagrams on that system here. Somewhere. Maybe google it. Member @Natcho is a very good source for info on the 74 as well.

you can bypass that fn thing by tying the two yellow/ black tracer wires together.
I got rid of it all together by running the yellow wire straight to the starter relay. that's where it ends up anyway

you can bypass that fn thing by tying the two yellow/ black tracer wires together.
I got rid of it all together by running the yellow wire straight to the starter relay. that's where it ends up anyway
do I tie the yellow to the yellow and the black to the black, or do I tie them all together?

what did you do with the black wire?

You're welcome, there is info and diagrams on that system here. Somewhere. Maybe google it. Member @Natcho is a very good source for info on the 74 as well.
I've seen Natcho weighing in on a lot of these kinds of issues- in fact I think this very one now that I know what I'm looking at. thanks for the referral. I have bypassed it, I think, so screw this little box. I had the same car one other time and someone had already tossed it. Now I know.

This is NOT really the seatbelt interlock relay ( althought lot of ppl knows it like that ), but the seatbelt OVERRIDE OR RESET SWITCH for the interlock system. Jumping out both yellow wires make work the system like this switch is allways activated, overriding the interlock system.

Black wire is ground and is attached to one of the wiper motor mounts. A blue wire comes from ignition switch and is positive, you can link those to if you wish a firework show LOL.

Interlock system can make not being able to crank up the engine, yes, but maybe because is working good and you are not following the seatbelt fastening sequence ( what could be is still in working order ), some of the sensors system is not working or interlock box is not working propperly. Or maybe some part of the system is not plugged.

The interlock box not just controls the crank up order system with the seatbelts fastening requirement, but also controls ALL the warning systems ( lights and buzzers ) of the car, such as seatbelt light and buzzer, key in warning buzzer and lights on warning buzzer.

On previous years all these buzzers were different ones, one for each system, but on 74 is just one buzzer for all the warning signals, with this control box controling it.

The interlock control box, or relay how some ppl calls it is a plastic box down the dash frame, between glove box and ashtray which can be blue if auto car, white off if manual car or orange if built for Canada and some other countries where Federal seatbelt regulations were not mandatory

Last edited:

You could also switch around the yellow wires at bulkhead plug and will do the same. That would make the starter signal from ign switch arrive straight to the relay like on previous years, and keep at a side the starter relay signal wire from interlock box.

This is a basic wiring diagram I made long time ago about the starter relay signal route on 74s with interlock box on the way.

5965230-starterwireoninterlock1.jpg

Last edited:
If you wish to get deeper into this, this is the master tech conference video about it. There it explains the seatbelts buckle sequence to a correct interlock system functioning. You still could check if it works or not.

Last edited:
This is NOT really the seatbelt interlock relay ( althought lot of ppl knows it like that ), but the seatbelt OVERRIDE OR RESET SWITCH for the interlock system. Jumping out both yellow wires make work the system like this switch is allways activated, overriding the interlock system.

Black wire is ground and is attached to one of the wiper motor mounts. A blue wire comes from ignition switch and is positive, you can link those to if you wish a firework show LOL.

Interlock system can make not being able to crank up the engine, yes, but maybe because is working good and you are not following the seatbelt fastening sequence ( what could be is still in working order ), some of the sensors system is not working or interlock box is not working propperly. Or maybe some part of the system is not plugged.

The interlock box not just controls the crank up order system with the seatbelts fastening requirement, but also controls ALL the warning systems ( lights and buzzers ) of the car, such as seatbelt light and buzzer, key in warning buzzer and lights on warning buzzer.

On previous years all these buzzers were different ones, one for each system, but on 74 is just one buzzer for all the warning signals, with this control box controling it.

The interlock control box, or relay how some ppl calls it is a plastic box down the dash frame, between glove box and ashtray which can be blue if auto car, white off if manual car or orange if built for Canada and some other countries where Federal seatbelt regulations were not mandatory

Wow Nacho, thanks for that info dump- I think I'm going to bypass it, although I'll miss the buzzers- they did work prior to me chasing the ignition issue that lead to me asking about the box. If you wouldn't mind I might PM you if something else comes up while I'm chasing this issue down. I'm going to spend some time with the tester light and voltmeter tomorrow finding out why turning the ignition switch isn't getting power to the starter. Wish me luck!

Also I'll need to find me some 70s women like in the video to cruise around with when this car is back on the road. If you know any, send them my way

bypass the interlock system at reset switch won't affect the buzzer warning system as far the interlock box remains connected.

not a problem on PMs, however sometimes I can miss some stuff ( I'm not THE expert, but just share what I have learnt ) and some ppl could post their cents and help with any problem giving more ideas and experiences too.

Auto Transport Service
Back