• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I leave the fuel pushrod in with an electric pump

furious70

Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
Or will it rattle around and possibly bounce up and impact the cam eccentric? I can't get the plug loose (yet). Can get the torch out if it really needs to come out.

Or will it rattle around and possibly bounce up and impact the cam eccentric? I can't get the plug loose (yet). Can get the torch out if it really needs to come out.
I would whip it out before running the engine.

excuse-me-while-i-whip-this-out-21134900.png

:lol:

It will slide down to the plug and the oil will stop it rattling
But if you can remove I would

If the pump is left out the rod will just drop down and never touch the cam so you are good. Where is the name of tarnation do these other replies come from.

I'll answer it this way:
If it's not in the engine, it can't damage anything - or be damaged by anything.
Make sense?

I'll answer it this way:
If it's not in the engine, it can't damage anything - or be damaged by anything.
Make sense?
Read what the poster said. He can not get the plug out to remove it. So to correctly and politically answer his question leaving it in the motor with no mechanical pump he will be just fine.

Read what the poster said. He can not get the plug out to remove it. So to correctly and politically answer his question leaving it in the motor with no mechanical pump he will be just fine.
My reading comprehension skills are just fine, thanks.
Just because something is difficult does not make it impossible - and yes, that plug can be a pain in the *** -
and yes, people do leave that pushrod in engines - but that doesn't mean they should.

If the hex is stripped find a torx bit as close in size. Should need to be hammered in, that work on an oil gallery plug for me. Will wreck the bit.

It's not stripped, just immovable to this point. My thinking was it should just ride down against the plug and never bother a thing, gravity being what it is and all but was curious if anyone had had a bad outcome.
I would imagine enough time with the torch and I would get it out but I've got plenty of other things to spend my time on.

My reading comprehension skills are just fine, thanks.
Just because something is difficult does not make it impossible - and yes, that plug can be a pain in the *** -
and yes, people do leave that pushrod in engines - but that doesn't mean they should.
So answer the poor guys question. Will it hurt anything.

It's not stripped, just immovable to this point. My thinking was it should just ride down against the plug and never bother a thing, gravity being what it is and all but was curious if anyone had had a bad outcome.
I would imagine enough time with the torch and I would get it out but I've got plenty of other things to spend my time on.
You can sleep now. The rod will never touch the cam shaft unless your car is turned up side down.

Use a punch to knock it loose and n extension magnet from harbor freight to pull it out. By the way I left my rod in for over 200miles when I used a temporary electric pump

there is a nut with an allenhead below most 383 440 engines. that removed allows removal of what you are referring to

So answer the poor guys question. Will it hurt anything.
I have - twice now.
Does it make any sense to leave a part loose in a running engine that isn't performing any function?
No, because engines in cars aren't operating in a vacuum - they're not in a static environment.
In fact, things are quite dynamic in the typical vehicle going down the road.
There's all manner of forces being enacted on everything - all sorts of jostling, bouncing, lateral forces,
vertical shocks that routinely occur to a vehicle going down the road.

So, I'll try this one more time for your benefit:
"Can I leave the fuel pushrod in with an electric pump?"
Answer: Probably - but not 100% guaranteed.
The only way to guarantee it is to remove the no longer used part entirely.

Auto Transport Service
Back