• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can i paint directly over 2k primer?

sand it before top coating with anything........ but you really need to read the data sheet....... epoxy can be used as a sealer; again, refer to the data sheet

if you have no data sheet, google it; it's all out there

I agree, 2k is fine with a scuff. NEVER paint over self etching primer.

Once sanded correctly , you absolutely can paint over it . Been doing it for 15 years and offer lifetime warranty on our paint work.

People make paint work WAY to complicated most of the time

Once sanded correctly , you absolutely can paint over it . Been doing it for 15 years and offer lifetime warranty on our paint work.

I am new to this. Over the years i have done a little fiberglass work, mostly structural repairs.
Then friends have helped with the finish prep.
I've seen it done in different orders with nice results.
One of those friends is helping me with my car and i am doing the dumb work so he is not spending too much time on it.
Since it is kind of foreign to me i do not want to cause more work for him.
I am learning, and appreciate all of the advise that you guys are taking the time to offer.
Happy holidays!

The hard work IS the "dumb" work! Someone has to do it. When I see a nice laser-straight car at a cruise night, I don't ask who painted it, I ask "who blocked it"?

Yes, the sanded correctly is the key.
Generally there is a block sanding process that gets your panels straight. Assuming you went to bare metal and shot 2 coats of epoxy that is now ready for top coat, you would then shoot 3 coats of 2k build primer. When set (see technical data sheet), apply guide coat and then block sand with a coarse grit to remove the guide coat. This will reveal any problem areas still remaining. Repeat the build primer, guide coat, block sanding step only using a finer grit like 180 until guide coat is gone.
From there you would apply guide coat and wet sand with 320 on a soft block, then repeat with 600 grit to be sure to remove all the 320 grit scratches. Clean and let dry and you should be ready for paint.

Reading the technical data sheets for the products you are using is critical. Failure to observe proper flash times, temperatures, etc. can cause you unnecessary problems

Auto Transport Service
Back