• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I Run 245's and 275's on '64 Sport Fury?

miferr

Local time
5:15 PM
Reaction score
Have a '64 Sport Fury that is currently running very old 215/65 R15's in the front and 235/60 R15's in the rear--all on American Racing Torque Thrusts. Front wheels are 7 1/2" and rear wheels are 8 1/2". I heard Mark Worman on GYC TV show recently say that on a '68 Charger, he would routinely get a great stance and look by running 245/60 in the front and 275/60 in the rear. Could I run these sizes on '64 Sport Fury without having any tire rub?? Any thoughts/opinions on going with these sizes, or any better suggestions? I'm planning to go with either BFG TA/Radials or Cooper Cobras. Leaning toward the Coopers based on what I've heard from Tire Rack sales guy. Any thoughts on those tires appreciated, too.

Don't know about the front. Rears 275/60/15 no problem as I have them on my 63 and 65. I also ran them on several 64's.
Back space is the key I ran 7'' to 8'' wide with a 4 1/4'' and a 4 1/2''. Not every early Mopar is the same and do vary from side to side.
What didn't rub on my 65 the same tire and wheel rubbed on the 63 on the passenger side.
Make sure when buying the Coopers,or any tires of the date on the tires. I bought Coopers from Discount Tire and within a few months cracks were forming around the bead area. Found out that my new tire was 6 years older than the other..

Don't know about the front. Rears 275/60/15 no problem as I have them on my 63 and 65. I also ran them on several 64's.
Back space is the key I ran 7'' to 8'' wide with a 4 1/4'' and a 4 1/2''. Not every early Mopar is the same and do vary from side to side.
What didn't rub on my 65 the same tire and wheel rubbed on the 63 on the passenger side.
Make sure when buying the Coopers,or any tires of the date on the tires. I bought Coopers from Discount Tire and within a few months cracks were forming around the bead area. Found out that my new tire was 6 years older than the other..
Thx for the comeback, Darter6.

For the front you have to watch the backspace. Some,not all if your backspace is wider than 4 1/4'' with a 15'' rim,the rim comes close to the upper control arm at the ball joint.
Put 15x8 on a 64 and the wheel weights on the inside rim lip pealed right off when the car moved.
Now all these old Mopars have varying tolerances and many parts have been changed over the years.
Photo is of my 65 with 225/70/15 on a 7'' wheel with a 4'' back space. No problem.

IMG_2737.jpg

Those tire sizes will work, but ONLY on the right backspace. The original torque thrust usually didn't have enough, putting the tires out too far toward the fenders.

Yeah, I never went wider than 70 series on the front. I'm just old school.

What exactly do you mean by "backspace" and how do you measure it or find such spec noted on the wheel itself? I've dealt with 944/968 Porsches for decades, and in that community, we always talked about "offset", not "backspace" which is something that is measured in mm.

Backspace can also be called offset from the wheel center.
To measure from the (back)inside of the wheel from the wheel lip to the contact area of the wheel mounting surface.
Some measure inside the lip area but I have always been told to the outer lip.
Many You Tube videos on this subject.
By they way welcome to the site. I was born and raised south of the 'Burg.

Backspace can be measured, offset has to be calculated from the backspace, or you have to be Told what it is, by the manufacturer, the seller, or on the wheel. (Those that measure backspace from inside the wheel lip are just wrong, it's measured from the inside edge to the mounting face)
As an example, I just measured one of my ten inch wheels. Wheels are measured between the beads, cause that's where the tire sits. My 10 inch American is exactly 10 7/8" total width. The backspace is measured at exactly 3 3/4" . Zero offset would be 5.437 so the offset on this wheel would be 1.687" or 42.8mm. Positive or negative, I don't know, Darter6 does. I've had + and - explained to me several times, but I just don't seem to care.
The only way that wheel would fit on a 64, would be to have the wheelwell radiused like a 60s gasser. A 10" wheel MIGHT fit a 64, with very near zero offset, or around 5.5" backspace.

Yeah, I never went wider than 70 series on the front. I'm just old school.
70 is the height of the sidewall not the width. 235/60 and 235/70 are both 9.25” wide. The 60 is 26” tall and the 70 is 27.9” tall.

Auto Transport Service
Back