• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I unplug my 1974 Roadrunner interlock box?

flamesoldier

Local time
10:32 PM
Reaction score
Can i unplug and throw away my interlock box plastic is crumbly dont want the electric box catching my cab in fire. I want to just unplug it electrical tape the connections and call it a day. Seats and seatbelts are unplug not used and no bypass switch like way it came. just wandering if there is anything in that box that goes somewhere else

B74B6D37-307F-4A7C-9CD1-9D5BA2A7CCB1.jpeg

If you don't already have one, you need a factory service manual for the car for a multitude of reasons,
included in which are the wiring diagrams.
Those will show you what all passes through that connector.

Think FABO has a article what you have to do.

If you don't already have one, you need a factory service manual for the car for a multitude of reasons,
included in which are the wiring diagrams.
Those will show you what all passes through that connector.
I just ordered the set online thank you

@Nacho-RT74 So things are back to normal, so i noticed owner removed reset interlink under hood so the yellow traced wire goes into terminal 20 underdash but there isnt one from harness under hood because it’s obviously removed. Can i just leave it that way or do i need to by pass system at interlock controller, i was told your the expert on this, see photo i was told to cut the two yellow wires at interlock and crimp them together? I can also just put a wire in harness number 20 and splice-it with the yellow “I” so both are on starter relay? The car starts and runs fine because under seat sensores are removed so interlock doesn’t activate but i just dont want an open wire that is receiving power hanging around

40FD43D7-2B66-412A-AF06-6F093D7FF1BB.jpeg

Ok, I can be detailed later because I’m right now on bed ( I’m in Spain, so there is time difference ). The interlock control box is aside the starter block system if seatbelts are not fastened also the warning systems brain control ( key in buzzer, seatbelt buzzer and light and lights warning buzzer on if equiped)

I can’t talk by memory the cavities used but this is how is wired the starting locking system (old diagram I made long time ago)

starter-wire-on-interlock3-jpg.281651

If you make to see how it works, the starting interlock system jump out can be made on several ways, but the easier are these two ways:
-splicing/jumping out together both yellow wires at reset button plug.
-swaping around the yellow traced with the solid yellow wire… either on cab side or engine harness plug.

both are totally safe and you wouldn’t need to despite the interlock box.

either of these methods, will feed the starting wire from ign switch straight to the relay despiting the interlock control box order to crank or not according with the seatbelt status. The warning system will keep in working order thought as far seatbelt and seats sensors harness are still plugged, which you can still keep in place and plugged. It won’t disturb anything. Personally I’m proactive on keep everything plugged and working if not really need to be removed for any failure reason.

if you want to learnt about how the interlock system works thought, check this video

however, without further details, I still think you got an incorrect forward ligthing harness (if not also the engine harness)

on a side note, your car was originally auto, so control box should have been blue… white are supposedly for manual cars

Last edited:
Good info Nacho. My 74 is an automatic and has the white control box.

Auto Transport Service
Back