• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can of rusty worms

Glenwood

Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
Bought this nice looking Polara last year and enjoyed driving it all summer. I thought a lot about rebuilding the poly but I'm just partial to big blocks. There's just something about the sound of a big block I can't explain...just love it!
64.jpg64 side.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So out comes the poly. Below is the 413 which seems to have little wear but I found some pitting in a cylinder. It's going to the machine shop to be inspected soon.

I could see the splash guards need replacing but it looks like some repairs will have to be made as well...

64.jpg 64 side.jpg IMG_2801.jpg IMG_2802.jpg IMG_2803.jpg IMG_2804.jpg IMG_2805.jpg IMG_2815.jpg IMG_2816.jpg IMG_2817.jpg IMG_2818.jpg IMG_2824.jpg IMG_2825.jpg

Very cool I was going to ask what your doing with the poly because I'd like to have one but your way up there so never mind and cool car there

I was hoping to just clean up the engine bay but I'm finding more spots here and there that'll need attention. Man there's a ton of undercoating under thoseIMG_2829.jpgIMG_2843.jpgIMG_2845.jpg fenders!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I sold the poly to a guy who waited months for me to pull it. I didn't I'd be able to sell it and was thinking about keeping it but I promised him so off it went.

- - - Updated - - -

A bit of surface rust is making it challenging. If the car wasn't already painted, I'd just media blast it. Maybe I'll find a way anyway! I think the fenders have to come off to make those other repairs. Now if I can get them off without scratching them up...
IMG_2820.jpgIMG_2821.jpgIMG_2822.jpgIMG_2841.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to Mr Belvedere's posting on his 67 ragtop (great read btw), I bought a needle/scaler. I love this tool! Together with a wirewheel in my drill, the rust is fading away.
IMG_2839.jpgView attachment 301083View attachment 301084IMG_2844.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like some rewiring is in order...good thing I'm an electrical guy! (But I'm wishing I was a welder about now)
IMG_2830.jpgIMG_2831.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

looks like a good spot for these fog lights don't you think? (just kidding)
IMG_2842.jpg

Last edited:
Well from here, your cowling looks good. A lot have them rusted out right through the firewall.

Love the '64s!

Please, no foglights...

The steering column was a bit of a bear and I found a bit of rust under the wiper area. Looks like the dash has to come out. Can it be removed with the windshield still in?
IMG_2836.jpg

Be careful........you are on a slippery path that leads to the car becoming completely disassembled.
You have good taste in table saws.
Carry on.

Last edited:
The steering column was a bit of a bear and I found a bit of rust under the wiper area. Looks like the dash has to come out. Can it be removed with the windshield still in?
View attachment 301090

you can, but its a class one pain in the rear to get the top dash screws out that are under the front lower garnish. The rubber gasket that holds that window is available in aftermarket. I'd carefully pop the window. You'll be shocked how much easier it is to work on the dash/cowl area. Superfreak is right... slippery splope indeed...

Be careful........your are on a slippery path that leads to the car becoming completely disassembled.
You have good taste in table saws.
Carry on.
Oh I know too well how slippery it can and probably will get! My wife, who knows nothing about cars, but can feel this infection spreading lol.
Love my General 350...sadly it's becoming a temporary parts bench.

- - - Updated - - -

you can, but its a class one pain in the rear to get the top dash screws out that are under the front lower garnish. The rubber gasket that holds that window is available in aftermarket. I'd carefully pop the window. You'll be shocked how much easier it is to work on the dash/cowl area. Superfreak is right... slippery splope indeed...
thanks for the advice 2059. Hey that's probably the same year I'll be finished! I'll take a look under there and see if I can avoid it, getting the screws back in always seems more difficult than taking them out. No sense creating more work than I need to!

- - - Updated - - -

How did the cylinder wall get a giant fossilized sperm germ embedded in it?

Too funny! I wonder what Sigmund Freud would say about you?

Last edited:
Slippery path indeed! I see the downward spiral already. Ha ha! Just remember tape is your friend. Some quality automotive masking tape is great for protecting painted edges that may contact each other during dis-assembly or assembly. Chipping nice paint during assembly can make a grown man cry. Good luck.

thanks for the encouragement, I'm going to need all I can get now. Found some time yesterday to continue my 'slide' down the slope and removed the bumper. Took a while to get those bolts freed up, but they gave up the fight eventually! I took Eric383's advice and picked up some premium masking tape from the local autobody supplier. Taped all the edges and removed the bumper without issue. Now I can remove the overspray from the bumper where the shop didn't bother to tape. I noticed some unused bolt holes near the front of the inner fender behind the bumper sort of. It looks like there should have been some sort of rock guards there as one of the holes has a bolt sheared off.
Decided to start removing the fenders to better access the cowl area and was please at how many bolts freed up without breaking. Then found one stubborn sob at the bottom of the fender. The head is a bit too worn for a 1/2" socket and I tried a 12mm but no go. This is an awkward spot so locking pliers are difficult to apply. I gave up and moved to the cowl area to chip away some more crud...bad idea! That's when the rust demon reared it's ugly head! The cowl was covered by some fiberglass/bondo then caulked with some black silicon. Kids, don't ask the question if you really don't want to know the answer! This project just expanded in scope, schedule and cost. (ugh!) pics to follow.
Are aftermarket cowl or sections available? Otherwise, I'll be looking at some fancy metalwork or trying to find a used cowl.

A couple cups of coffee for courage and back out to attack that stubborn bolt.

No, I don't believe there are any after market cowls available.
Unfortunately with that mickey mouse repair you found you will most likely find some more surprises. Lots of unscrupulous people out there that will doing anything cosmetic wise to be able to unload a car.

thank you for the good post i will be watching as im in the same boat with my 65-500

all taped up and bumper removed. I know, I'd make a good pin strip man right! lol
IMG_2849.jpgIMG_2851.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The suspect area...covered up with silicon.
Yep, the fender has to come off!

IMG_2850.jpgIMG_2852.jpgIMG_2853.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sure glad to have put in this radiant heater this year. Miserable day outside today, but nice and toasty in the shop!

IMG_2854.jpghere's a volunteer to help me with the fender!IMG_2856.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A perfectly formed patch for a 64 B-body, I'm thinking EBAY! lol

IMG_2857.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Cleaned up the space between the fender and the rocker. I shaved the sides of the bolt head and the 12 mm fit perfectly, only to shear off the head! At least it's off.
The fender was still attached though. I thought there were some spot welds but turns out there was some brazing welds holding the outer fender in place. Another use for a great tool, my dremel. Funny thing, the other fender seems to have been modified. I think the other fender was replaced at some point.

IMG_2855.jpgIMG_2858.jpgIMG_2861.jpgIMG_2862.jpgIMG_2863.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Fender came off without an issue.

IMG_2866.jpgIMG_2868.jpgIMG_2869.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Some patchwork to do!

IMG_2864.jpgIMG_2865.jpgIMG_2871.jpgIMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg IMG_2851.jpg IMG_2850.jpg IMG_2852.jpg IMG_2853.jpg IMG_2854.jpg IMG_2856.jpg IMG_2857.jpg IMG_2855.jpg IMG_2858.jpg IMG_2859.jpg IMG_2861.jpg IMG_2862.jpg IMG_2863.jpg IMG_2866.jpg IMG_2868.jpg IMG_2869.jpg IMG_2864.jpg IMG_2865.jpg IMG_2871.jpg IMG_2872.jpg

Don't forget to cover that windshield. The smallest sparks will stick to it...

You're having too much fun!

Ouch !! The cowl now I'm really dreading poking in to the cowl on my 65 I can see from under the dash it's pretty bad will hope you take lots of photos as I am watching closely thank you again bo

Auto Transport Service
Back