• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can somebody explain.....

33 IMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
...what is wrong with people?
I was watching a rerun /highlight mecum auction show. I saw a very nice '70 hemicuda clone sell for $45k (approximately, don't remember exactly) and thought that was a nice deal for a hemi car you could drive, and have fun with.
A few cars later, a multi window vw van came across the block, (with the wrong wheels and tires for a restored window van), and it was a no sale....... at over $115k. WTF!
This is not the first time I have seen this either. I saw a REAL triple pickle 69 hemi gtx sell for half of the price of another multi window vw, at a sale I attended.
I guess I just don't understand vw nuts. Unless I planned to flip it, I wouldn't give a tenth of what those slow ugly turds sell for.

...what is wrong with people?
I was watching a rerun /highlight mecum auction show. I saw a very nice '70 hemicuda clone sell for $45k (approximately, don't remember exactly) and though that was a nice deal for a hemi car you could drive, and have fun with.
A few cars later, a multi window vw van came across the block, (with the wrong wheels and tires for a restored window van), and it was a no sale....... at over $115k. WTF!
This is not the first time I have seen this either. I saw a REAL triple pickle 69 hemi gtx sell for half of the price of another multi window vw, at a sale I attended.
I guess I just don't understand vw nuts. Unless I planned to flip it, I wouldn't give a tenth of what those slow ugly turds sell for.

And that's how they feel about Chargers

some are just clueless
some can't enjoy it
unless it's a top tier restoration or 100% OE
hoity toidy BS

more money than brains comes to mind
or people in a pissing contest, while biding

I don't blame the auction houses either
they are offering it for the sellers, to get the most they can

I hate those POS. I remember trucking with my Dad and you'd catch one of those junkers at the bottom of a hill and you'd have to follow them all the way up slow as heck. Different strokes for different folks though of course. But yeah, I don't get it.

@33 IMP, why don't you like a 21 or 23 window VW van? Why don't you like a '72 Cutlass? Why don't you like a '89 Toyota MR2? Probably the same reason those collectors don't like a 60's B Body. We all have our tastes. Kinda like Harley "snobs".

Nostalgia drives emotion, emotion drives bidding, right?

I have no problem with people liking them, to each his own. I just don't understand paying 50 times what they sold for new. Are they THAT special?

Slowest POS on the road. i dreaded working on them when I worked in car repair shops. They come in for a tune up the work order says “customer states lack of power”. No ****, really? How do you fix that for $39.95 plus parts?

Today it is supply and demand, and they love those things!

I have no problem with people liking them, to each his own. I just don't understand paying 50 times what they sold for new. Are they THAT special?
While they are not my thing either, it is not any different than the crazy "values" associated with 68-70 Chargers that sell for unreal amounts.

Leftover 60's hippies....and wannabe's, now fortified with capitalist CASH$$$ :)
Folks, they were miserable transportation when new. Restored doesn't make that any better, nor
will jaded memories of them...

I've seen a number of different posts online from over in European Countries where balled up pieces of metal with a VW emblem found on a farmers property are being touted as such a great find. "23 windows are such a rare find, I was lucky to find this", never mind the whole thing will fit loosely in the back of a standard pickup. What isn't rotted away is as straight as a balled up piece of aluminum foil. What exactly do you have left of the original by the time metal work is done?

My Dad had a '65 Bus back in '78 (not a 23 window, and no, he wasn't a hippie). Slow? He had a bumper sticker on it 'STOP HONKING!! I'm peddling as fast as I can!!"

How long ago was that? Was it a date correct Hemi driveline? 4 speed?
Rerun of Tulsa (?) show, middle of this year. Orange coupe, with hemi hockey stick, I think it was a four speed, but I don't know any more than that. (No shaker). Hey, it's a hemi Cuda, what more do you need? LOL.

Consider how deep the pockets must be of those who are actually bidding those prices. What about the Hemi 'Cuda that sold for six million a year or two back? That had to be someone with WAY more money than they knew what else to do with. Are not a lot of top-flight American muscle cars and other hard-to-finds winding up in Saudi and other exotic overseas garages?

Nostalgia drives emotion, emotion drives bidding, right?[/QUOTE

And Nostalgia is what is driving me to always be on the lookout to buy this exact car I also had during high school, and since most car people don’t seek them out, they can be bought for a reasonable price if found
upload_2021-12-28_4-36-17.jpeg

And "American Pickers" don't help either. They fawn over all these roachy VWs. I watched one show where they walked past a Hemi on a stand and the '64 Plymouth it probably was going into over to a Model T! What the heck! Tell me about the effing Plymouth!

there's a video out there, of a guy in some European country, pulling a VW bus that has been sitting in a swamp for decades, getting pulled out by a helicopter. That had to run into thousands just for that. then he wa going to restore it. Insane.

Last edited:
How about a winged car. I never will understand those.

I have to laugh. One of my buddy's in the mid '70's had a VW bus, never counted the windows. It was a scary thing on the freeway. Any sort of uphill would slow it down so badly. My buddy was a UW Madison grad, says it all. M car was my '70 Barracuda 383 which I modified some. The freeway was no problem for it!

Auto Transport Service
Back