• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone guide me for a proper cam?

Myasylum

Local time
7:48 AM
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the low compression 400 engine.
I'm trying to make up for that with a proper cam.
I have a RPM intake, evs 800 carb, 3.54 rear, and headers.
I am about to purchase the RPM aluminum heads.
And help on proper can size? I like loppy... not functionality is most important though.
Thanks!

Is there a reason you building a 400 and not a 440? Is it numbers matching? You could probably call an engine builder and see what they say. good luck.

Try to get the 75cc heads if your are buying edelbrocks. Need more info for recommending a cam...such as Solid or hydraulic or roller? What rocker arms? Car weight, stall convertor, power brakes? You say you want it to lope. A good stall convertor is about the best money you can spend or it will be lazy till it gets in its powerband.

Everything other than what I mentioned I still stock. Stock valve train ext...

Call Hughes and give them all your info, they'll hook you up with the right cam for your needs.

Stamped steel rockers will be your limit on lift, we usually dont do more .520 w stamped rockers. If planning on lots of miles then less like .500.
If a really lopey idle is a priority and you have manual brakes consider hughes whiplash, if you intend to run power brakes a lunati voodoo 703 or Comps xe268 or use a cam size smaller. The fast rate cams will help build compression and you will gain some performance. Cams are always trade offs though, and always buy good lifters.

Last edited:
A low comp 400 is dog like territory & putting on bigger port heads like RPM will make it worse. So will the RPM intake. Perf intake would be better. And a cam is never going to fix it...........

An Isky 270 Mega is about as big as I would use.

Depends on what your trying to do, but consider a good high stall torque converter. The Hughes "Wiplash" cams are designed for the lower compression engines like this.

So basically rebuild the 400 as a stoker or get a 440. Anything less is a waste of money?
It runs good though.

So basically rebuild the 400 as a stoker or get a 440. Anything less is a waste of money?
It runs good though.
Not necessarily, depends on your goals and budget. Again..buy a good stall. Like a 9 1/2" ptc or dynamic. One that flashes 4000+ but cruises like stock.
Yes a 440 or 400 stroker does EVERYthing better then a LOW compression 400 other then if adding boost! If you are spending money on rebuilding a 400 w new pistons, turning crank, resizing rids, etc... it's not all that more costly to go with a stroker. I would rather have stroker with stock heads then a 400 low compression with rpm heads on the street, but that is just a opinion.
Runs good now? What is it?

Last edited:
A standard rebuild of a 400 can give you plenty of power/torque for the street. The small chamber EDE RPM's will bump the CR a lot. Then the cam selection gets important. If you are looking for sound, you are on the wrong track. You should be caring about how the cam will perform for your application. If you are changing pistons, be sure to figure in what gas you have available in your area. A stroker can give you a bunch of toque/power, can your car handle that?

I'm just saying my 400 that is basically a stock motor runs really good. There just isn't much power. It seems torquey where it spins the tires off the line, then it just goes... Blah. Turns into a pooch.
I didn't plan on doing pistons yet... Just heads and cam. Also a couple bolts are stripped on the head. That's another reason I was just going to get new Heads rather than mess with the old cast iron. One of the valve cover bolts I think broke off inside the block at some point (of course the furthest one away), and a intake bolt is stripped.
I'm not going just for sound, it just helps. :p

Seems to me that the small chamber EDE heads will gain you over a point of CR and combined with a moderate cam will get you what you want.

What is considered small chamber? Could you point me in a direction? :/

The EDE heads have had a 75cc version available I think. Much smaller than any OEM iron head. Look at the EDE web site. They may or may not be available with todays situation.

The EDE heads have had a 75cc version available I think. Much smaller than any OEM iron head. Look at the EDE web site. They may or may not be available with todays situation.
Eddie Edelbrock

Eddelbrock RPM's and e streets come in 75cc or 85cc now. I believe E streets are cheaper w lower quality parts then the rpm. Rpm you might be looking at the price of a single head.
CHRYSLER Edelbrock 60829 Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Heads | Summit Racing
E streets:
CHRYSLER Edelbrock 5090 Edelbrock E-Street Cylinder Heads | Summit Racing
Both seem to be in stock at Summit presently.
75 cc raises compression roughly .6-.8 higher compression then stock on a 8.2:1 400 if assembled w a .039 gasket. It takes a piston to get it higher.

Last edited:
It seems with these heads and a whiplash cam I should be good?! (And torque converter)
Can I use the springs on this head for the whiplash cam? Or would I have to buy springs? Do I need push rods as well?
I can see how this adds up quick though and might as well rebuild a stoker, or find a 440.
Especially if the price is per head.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back