• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can Someone ID My Master Cylinder/Booster and Distribution Block On My 1970 RR

soundhd

Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody can tell me exactly what power brake master cylinder/power booster I have along with the distribution block in my 1970 Roadrunner (photos below)? Is the dist block also a non-adjustable prop valve? Why I am asking is I have 4 wheel drum brakes on the car and want to convert over to front discs and I have conflicting answers to my question do I need to replace the master cylinder/booster along with the dist block and add a adjustable prop valve or will what I have in place work with front disc brakes?
The car was "restored" around 10 years ago in canada and working on it in the past year I have found some things that were not done right using different parts, etc......

Thanks

PS Update: Checked the numbers on the bottom of the master cylinder and they are
Checked through the brake section in the shop manual and it does not even show this master cylinder....thinking maybe it from a different year or maybe even a different body style?

distblocksmall_zps263720ea.jpg

70RRmastercylindersmall.jpg

Last edited:
The model number of the master cylinder should be on the bottom, maybe use a small mirror and see if you can make out the numbers.
mine is a 2225621

Perhaps you already have a disc master cylinder? I know that my '70 road runner with all drums didn't have the wire clip holding the brake cylinder cover on, rather it was bolted like this shop manual picture. The Kelsey Hayes disc setup used the wire clip, but a different looking cover.
master cyl.jpg

Was wondering if anybody can tell me exactly what power brake master cylinder/power booster I have along with the distribution block in my 1970 Roadrunner (photos below)? Is the dist block also a non-adjustable prop valve? Why I am asking is I have 4 wheel drum brakes on the car and want to convert over to front discs and I have conflicting answers to my question do I need to replace the master cylinder/booster along with the dist block and add a adjustable prop valve or will what I have in place work with front disc brakes?
The car was "restored" around 10 years ago in canada and working on it in the past year I have found some things that were not done right using different parts, etc......

Thanks

PS Update: Checked the numbers on the bottom of the master cylinder and they are
Checked through the brake section in the shop manual and it does not even show this master cylinder....thinking maybe it from a different year or maybe even a different body style?

distblocksmall_zps263720ea.jpg

70RRmastercylindersmall.jpg

From what you have pictured,the booster is Midland Ross which is correct for power drum brakes in 70,the cylinder appears correct but may be a later replacement,valve also appears to be correct.Difference in cylinders is usually bore size and residual valves in the inlet fittings for the lines.

If you look at the service manual you can see the additional parts needed for Disc/Drum set up. Your Booster and MC probably will work. The small reservoir should have a residual valve behind the seat, and the larger (front brakes) should not. You need to add a Front Disc metering valve (hold off) and a rear proportioner (if it is not installed). Or you can go to an after marker combined valve. Right stuff has the brake lines, and valving. Others sell the 3 piece valving as a set on Ebay. do asearch and there are some post that explain what all the pieces do for a disc/drum power brake set up. G

Auto Transport Service
Back