• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone translate...

1967coronet440

Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
Just looking over my invoice for my 727 trans brake transmission from A&A and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of, for example, Ive heard that if a trans doesn’t have a rear band apply you cannot downshift while rolling? I bought it second hand but was never used. Will be installing soon with my new engine so just trying to figure out exactly what I have. Thanks

7761D911-DFFE-4C54-B47B-779195E4C120.jpeg
1E274614-8559-4AD0-B393-C3746E7EC5E7.jpeg
F3BCDF4D-8F0C-4224-BC3F-DD566A139251.jpeg

Also can someone school me on a 2 step, should I install or am I fine with The trans brake alone? This is my First build guys, go easy on me lol

I was able to make the pics a little bigger to help read the invoice.

3E1F803C-9044-4A3F-AA71-58C945696914.png
3E8B45AE-77D8-4DEA-ABA4-AF8531B94A59.png
93A15351-B770-4589-8E14-99A5BEF3DE0A.png

is that A&A Transmissions
5061 E N County Line Road
Camby, IN 46113
If it is you will never regret buying that transmission, they have a great reputation and there transmissions are bullet proof. They know how to build it right and what parts are need to make a transmissin last. I had one built up for my modified 383 and I took it to the track and on the street and did my best to destroy it. LOL. It's stilll running strong today and never had a problem with it. I believe I dealt with Richard and he was a big help and a nice guy. I would call them and tell them what you have, nothing better than getting advice from the people that built it and I'm sure they will answer all your questions. Sounds like they put all the right goodies in the t build and they even sold me the torque converter to make it go. Good luck!

Last edited:
is that A&A Transmissions
5061 E N County Line Road
Camby, IN 46113
If it is you will never regret buying that transmission, they have a great reputation and there transmissions are bullet proof. They know how to build it right and what parts are need to make a transmissin last. I had one built up for my modified 383 and I took it to the track and on the street and did my best to destroy it. LOL. It's stilll running strong today and never had a problem with it. I believe I dealt with Richard and he was a big help and a nice guy. I would call them and tell them what you have, nothing better than getting advice from the people that built it and I'm sure they will answer all your questions. Good luck!
Yes it’s from A&A, that’s good to hear I’ve heard they have a good reputation. To be honest I’m not really sure what to ask when I call, do I just ask him to explain what everything is? I really know Nothing about trans’ so I kind of want to be educated when I call so I know what to ask...

I would explain that you bought the transmission and you need some information before you install and use it. I would ask if there is any thing special you should know about install it and how everything works (transbrake, etc). I spent over an hour on the phone with Richard when I got mine and he answered all my questions and explained everything I needed to know. That is why this company has such a good reputation with the average guy and many racers too.

Yes it’s from A&A, that’s good to hear I’ve heard they have a good reputation. To be honest I’m not really sure what to ask when I call, do I just ask him to explain what everything is? I really know Nothing about trans’ so I kind of want to be educated when I call so I know what to ask...
Give them the invoice number they can look it up and answer all your questions

Have you raced with a transbrake transmission before?
If not, many differences possible, like how to back up, does the button need to be pushed. What's the application for the trans?

I haven’t used one before, 505 stroker, little street, more strip use. 700hp.

I sent an email so I can have everything in writing so I don’t forget lol. Give it a few days if no response I’ll call Rick

I haven’t used one before, 505 stroker, little street, more strip use. 700hp.
OK, I'm not transmission expert, but what I'm reading is "super all out racing 727 big block transmission". I also looks like it has a "reverse lockout" which simply means you can't accidentally shift into reverse while drag racing (required in some race classes).

Also, I "think" it is a "reverse pattern" setup & I "think' that means instead of pulling the shifter all the way back into 1st gear, pushing forward into 2nd, then pushing forward into 3rd (drive), that you START OFF in the middle (1st gear is where drive would normally be), then pull BACK into 2nd and pull BACK into 3rd (drive is where 1st would normally be). Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on this. That would be extra insurance that you wouldn't accidentally shift into reverse (or neutral) while drag racing.

It does look like you have a "trans brake" so be careful with that. I believe it locks the transmission in 1st & reverse at the same time to hold the car still while you rev up the engine at the starting line. You hold a button down. When you let go....BANG! the car launches and HARD. If you hold the trans brake on for more than just a few seconds, I believe it can damage your transmission....so only while racing and don't stage early, wait for the other guy.

With this setup, I believe you do want a "2-step". That is sort of like a "dual rev limiter". "Rev limiter #1" is engaged by wiring it into your trans brake. That sets your launch rpm. You pull to the line, set the trans brake & floor the gas pedal. The car revs up to the "#1 rev limited rpm"....say 3000 rpm or something...but the car does not move (trans brake is on). With the gas pedal still floored, when you let of the trans brake button the car launches & rev limiter #1 is de-activated & that activates "rev limiter #2" which is your overall engine rev limit....say 6000 rpm or something.

NSSguy should know; ‘dvw’, Doug is at a weekend wedding so ur outa luck on him for awhile. It does look like an awesome setup though.

I have an A&A Trans with a their transbrake.
I have "3-step" tied into my MSD6AL box. One chip @ 5000rpm for the water box when I have the line lock on, Second chip @4000rpm for my transbrake button and Third chip @7000rpm for my top end rev limiter.
1) You need a motor plate or at minimum all steel motor mounts for the transbrake.
2) You need 1350 U Joints front and rear on your drive shaft.
3) You need a billet yoke on your rear end and a billet slip yoke coming out of your trans.
4) I presume you have a DANA 60 rear end...If not you will blow the 8 3/4 with the transbrake.
5) And obviously you need a transbrake button to wire up your solenoid on the transbrake. I use the Moroso Adjustable button.
6) To back up you have to put it in reverse and press the transbrake button for the car to back up. (also backs up in neutral if the button is being pushed).
AND, IT LOOKS LIKE FROM THE RECEIPT THAT YOU GOT ONE GREAT TRANNY.

Last edited:
Mike Gaines pretty much spelled it out on what's needed and how to use. That is a stout tranny, A&A are the leader in Mopar in trans. Between RIck and Dave Smith at Pro Trans they make most of upgraded parts for mopar trans.

I have an A&A Trans with a their transbrake.
I have "3-step" tied into my MSD6AL box. One chip @ 5000rpm for the water box when I have the line lock on, Second chip @4000rpm for my transbrake button and Third chip @7000rpm for my top end rev limiter.
1) You need a motor plate or at minimum all steel motor mounts for the transbrake.
2) You need 1350 U Joints front and rear on your drive shaft.
3) You need a billet yoke on your rear end and a billet slip yoke coming out of your trans.
4) I presume you have a DANA 60 rear end...If not you will blow the 8 3/4 with the transbrake.
5) And obviously you need a transbrake button to wire up your solenoid on the transbrake. I use the Moroso Adjustable button.
6) To back up you have to put it in reverse and press the transbrake button for the car to back up. (also backs up in neutral if the button is being pushed).
AND, IT LOOKS LIKE FROM THE RECEIPT THAT YOU GOT ONE GREAT TRANNY.
Thanks mike, I have moroso solid mounts and a torque strap hopefully that will suffice.
I have a 4” aluminum driveshaft that I need to have cut down and have the 1350 joints installed.

I have a strange s60 rear with s Trac and 4.10 gears, and a chromoly yoke.

The shifter that came with the trans came with a button installed on the top which I presume is for the brake.

Also I have a msd 6al I like the 3 step you have maybe I’ll go that route.

0A85D428-A49B-46C5-B194-802022D44D96.jpeg FBE1A617-7928-4854-8BC1-C9D640E97E95.jpeg 6BF537EA-6E8C-49F1-9D76-991B9F7F30D6.jpeg

Is this the one from up here in the Northwest, Bo? Glad to see you’re making progress. What’s your ETA for having that bad-boy running?

And you’ll definately want to run a 2-step. Hard to be consistent without one.

You MUST have a "3-step"......1 chip for the Water Box (I use a 5000 chip for the water box), 1 chip for the transbrake ( I use a 4000 chip for the transbrake), and 1 chip for the top end rev limiter ( although I use a 7000 chip you will know what you want for that...I go thru the traps right at 7000 RPM so I can't use a lower chip in that slot.
The little 3-Step Box plugs into the MSD-6 box just like a 2-step....but I think the newer Digital MSD 6 uses little "wheels" for the settings and they only have provisions, I think, for 2 rpm settings, not 3. If you a have that digital box you will have to research that, I do not know.
The button on the shifter will probably be used for the water box chip.
I mounted my Moroso Adjustable Transbrake button onto a bracket under my dashboard (as you can see in the attached picture. Easy to put my thumb on, and no wires to get wrapped up in the steering wheel.

G0082945.JPG

Last edited:
Is this the one from up here in the Northwest, Bo? Glad to see you’re making progress. What’s your ETA for having that bad-boy running?

And you’ll definately want to run a 2-step. Hard to be consistent without one.
Yes it is, just trying to figure out if there’s any little details I need to know about it. I was browsing some other threads and seen some things like, no rolling down shifts without a rear band apply. I’d hate to wreck this thing first time I get it out.

I’m gunning for asap but it’s hard to get over there to work on it lately with my wife being in night classes, I got the 3 boys with me all night.

Personally I wouldn't use a 3 step. Don't like the engine banging off the limiter during the burnout. Watch the tach instead. As mentioned, wire a rpm limiter into the trans brake button. Rick and the guys at A&A are great . That trans should serve you well.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back