• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can the pistons be removed through the bottom of a 440?

Trench

Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just reading a rebuild book and it was saying to remove the pistons through the bottom of the motor to avoid using a reamer. Can this be done with the 440?

The answer is NO... The main bearing webbing will interfere... Last engine I saw the pistons come out the bottom of was a 230 inline six...

They can indeed! Get a sledgehammer and get to it, lol!

They can indeed! Get a sledgehammer and get to it, lol!
This!

I made that mistake recently when I was tapping a piston down to see if it was seized in the bore. It went down pretty smoothly after some PB Blaster...then popped out the bottom and I had an "Awwww.....FUUUUUDGE!" moment. lol

Why would you want to. The ridge represents wear in the cylinder and you should then use a micrometer to see if boring is needed. Just my opinion.

Even if you could remove them, you wouldn't be able to get a ring compressor in place to put things back together.

Sure you can, Its easy.
Doug

fiat.jpg

I think I saw that article. It's the same one that says you can take the crank out the top!

So I found where I read it. It's HOW TO REBUILD THE BIG BLOCK MOPAR by Arvid Svendsen.
Piston.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back