• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can this be true? 2018 Dakota

BeeKool

Local time
2:29 AM
Reaction score
I've heard rumours for some time. Figured I would check them out.

I feel Chrylser/Fiat was foolish for abandoning this iconic Truck.
Chevy Colorado has done exceptionally well do to lack of competition. I'm sure I don't need to tell you Mopes but the Dakota is a much superior vehicle.

Anyway this is but a tidebit of info and does little more than make me more curious.

http://www.2017-2018trucks.com/2016/08/16/2018-dodge-dakota/

I would think there would be at least one V-8 probably a Standard V-8 and a Hemi.
Wouldn't that be awesome if you could get a Hell cat power plant in thus truck!?!

I suspect that an Eco-Diesel may also be in the cards.

I didn't see that. But I question where these people get their info.
I saw the statement "no radical changes."
and the statement "goin to be a uni-body design" in the same paragraph.

I have an '11 which is the last Generation. It has a frame. So a uni body will be a radical change.

I also see them refer to it as a "unique car."
I'm fairly certain that they are in fact "trucks."

Uni-body says car to me.
I hope the uni-body statement is a misprint.
I put my trucks to use. I can't imagine pulling a wagon or heavily loaded trailer with a uni-body

It would be great if they just built a real work truck like in 8 ft bed that did not require a crane or fork lift to put things in the shoulder height bed or ladder to get into the cab. No need for heated leather or state of the art sound system and back seat television.
Would also be nice if it did not require 12 year financing.

Are the calling it a 'Dodge' or 'Ram' brand?

I've seen a few different photos/artist conception views of a potential 2018 model, most using the same text. Things that don't make sense are the low power 3.7 V6 that went out of production four years ago or the 5 speed auto.

If a 2018 model was real, it would exist in pre-production form right now and somebody would have some real info on it. Upcoming small pick-ups are discussed -but not the Dakota- at allpar. http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming-trucks.html

Do you really want or need a wantabe mini truck. The market is flooded with SUVs with 3 foot cargo spaces.

Dakota created the market segment.

...then got watered down as the competition improved.

I drove a '16 colorado, and I liked it.

The new honda ridgeline is a decent looking uni-body truck.

I agree about an awfully short bed.

It would be more functional and better looking with another foot or 2.

It does look Durango-ish in the front.

Well you could look into one of these.
Jeep-Wrangler-Pickup-Gladiator-Concept.jpg

http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/06/201...t-half-of-2017-wrangler-pickup-comes-in-2018/

Depending on who is making up the picture, you get all different views of the 'new dakota'.
2016-Dodge-Dakota-front.jpg

2018-Dodge-Dakota-front-view.png

2017-Dodge-Dakota.jpg

Just another yuppie people hauler. Someone needs to get back to the business of building trucks.

post 13 pic 2 is a colorado with a last gen Dak grille.

pic 3 is a subaru with a Ram nose.

pic 1 IIRC is a jeep concept with Journey style nose added.

post 12 pic from article may be a Durango with photoshopped explorer sport-trac style bed.

I NEED my functional bed.

As stated, sport-trac bed is too short, even the gen 3 Dak QC bed is a tad short for me.

I'd also like to have my mid-size pickup not pretend to be a larger truck by having a high ride height.

That Jeep Wrangler truck will be built, but has been shown with that front and a "Gladiator/J1000" nose.

Gen 2 beds would have been a lot nicer at 7 ft and 2 inches wider.
If it had not been for gas mileage the Dakota purchase would have never happened. The D350 rides better , is easier to maneuver and the 7.5 x 9.5 ft bed makes a great hauler work bench.

What is the market for the mid size truck? Is a people hauler, 5 or 6 set belts, with a somewhat usable bed, albeit too short to do any real work, desirable to the masses?

Basically it's a mid size SUV with an open bed rather than an enclosed cargo area. Ford Sport Track from years ago?

I'll hang onto my 39,000 mile '05 Dakota Laramie with a full frame and V8.

Auto Transport Service
Back