• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you fit 255 60 15's up front?

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
Pretty sure this size fits no problem in the rear but what about up front?

I have 245/60R15s on 8" rims up front. They fit and look great - a couple of pictures attached. No rubbing or issues of any kind. Sorry, Can't help you with 255s.

Hawk
DSC_0034.JPG

IMG_5266.JPG

Hawk, do you know what the back set is on your 8" rims on the front?
Thanks

The rims on the front and back of my car are the same. They are 15" x 8" with a 4.5" backspace. Tires front are 245/60R15, rear 275/60R15.

To each his own but I hate wide tires on the front.225 and 275 for me

Yes, they will fit. My Satellite came with 255/60x15s on the front. Too wide -especially without power steering! I swapped 215/70x15s onto it - much better. I may go just a bit smaller yet.

Each person has their on preference on tire sizes, so I won't comment on my preferences. I listed my tire sizes above, and here is another picture of my car so folks can determine for themselves if they like it. Good luck with whatever final choice you make.

Hawk
Gen_Front_3Quarter.jpg

Pretty sure this size fits no problem in the rear but what about up front?

It will depend on the offset of the wheel. I originally had 255x60x15's on (I think 7x15" rims with 3.5 back space?) all the way around on my '71 Charger before going to the big/little combination on the car now.
I had no issues on the '71 Charger. I put the 255x60x15's on the '69 coronet (4-wheel drum brakes), and the front tire would occasionally catch the inside of the wheel opening molding on tight turns. The wheel opening molding sticks inside the wheel arch a bit more than the fender metal. It looks like there is room inside for more backspacing?
I just swapped to disc brakes, I will have to see it they locate the rim in the same space?

The rims on the front and back of my car are the same. They are 15" x 8" with a 4.5" backspace. Tires front are 245/60R15, rear 275/60R15.
Thanks Hawk for that reply. I don't want a rubbing issue and wasn't sure what I needed. Thanks again.

Just remember the adage "Your results may vary". How much space is available is dependent on overall vehicle geometry. You raise the rear with bigger tires, wheels, etc., the nose is going down, or if the torsion bars have been altered, a different engine added, new vs old suspension parts, etc., so a combo that fits on one car might not fit another. Also, a wheel/tire combo that has clearance in the driveway might not have clearance when you're braking and the nose dips, as I learned the hard way a few years ago. :(

Just remember the adage "Your results may vary". How much space is available is dependent on overall vehicle geometry. You raise the rear with bigger tires, wheels, etc., the nose is going down, or if the torsion bars have been altered, a different engine added, new vs old suspension parts, etc., so a combo that fits on one car might not fit another. Also, a wheel/tire combo that has clearance in the driveway might not have clearance when you're braking and the nose dips, as I learned the hard way a few years ago. :(
I understand exactly, been there did that years ago. :BangHead: I just needed a starting reference because back then all tires had G, L, N or something on them, you know what I mean? They call them the good ole days:lol:
Should have kept every B body I have ever owed and I would be a happy guy right now.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I bought mine with 255/60 15's on the front. I'm doing a rebuild on the front suspension right now and while the wheels are off I'm getting 225/70 15's. The 255's rubbed the inner fender. Not sure if this was due to the tire or the suspension needing a rebuild.

Auto Transport Service
Back