• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you have too much header?

westie47

Local time
4:29 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for TTI headers for my 440 but they are back ordered til late August. The only one’s available are 2” primaries with 3.5” collectors. I was looking for 1 7/8” primaries. Are 2” primaries too big? My engine is 450 hp/528 lb-ft with 2.5” exhaust.

I have two inch adjustable hookers on my 500 hp 440, and a 3 1/2 exhaust. Not a problem. IF it's too big, you won't know by the seat of your pants. Also have two inch headers on my small block, also with 3 1/2 pipes. Runs just fine.

I have seen dyno tests of headers where the last one was "too big". The power and torque loss was insignificant compared to a "too small " header. And the ones that were "too big" were MONSTROUS. (2 3/8). 2 inch are not monstrous.

"Too much is always better than not enough"
Bob Dobbs, Church of the Subgenius

I think most headers are bigger than ideal.

With proper port alignment/flanges/attention to tube angle/radius I think most could be much smaller than what's commonly available.

Bigger than necessary isn't going to kill any high rpm/max hp but I think if-properly- sized, could contribute to the power curve below peak power while making the same peak.

- That while resulting in more spark plug/plug wire clearance and ground clearance.

For your power level and exhaust system I would be more inclined to go with even 1 3/4 primary over 2".

JMO :)

I've read that in most cases, the header tube diameter needs to be close to the exhaust valve diameter.

Interesting thread! I’ve been running 1-7/8 on my different BBs for decades. I’ve read every test I could ever find. The real horsepower lost is probably the extreme up to down angle from the ports to the header. That’s the header style I have, and its way better than a manifold. True racers get fender well headers to keep the flow going up from the port. nevertheless, I’ve read 1-3/4 are good to around 450hp,1-7/8 around 575. Just what I’ve read. But stepped primaries are pretty nice…..

Didn’t mean real racers in last post. Should have said serious effort cars or the like. Just don’t want to get hammered to death over that….

Auto Transport Service
Back