• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you paint stove grills?

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys this is off the subject of cars - but I've seen farther off... I was wondering if anyone knows or had reconditioned their gas grills on their stoves. We bought the stove less than a year ago and my lovely wife has made them look like they're 10 years old somehow. I was wondering if there's a heat resistant black one would use on a project like this - maybe similar to what they do for black headers.

The whole unit is like new but the grills look like ****. Anyone have any suggestions?

something to think about
CAUTION ! As a Firefighter/EMT/HAZ-MAT Responder, I am appalled at the risks some of you are willing to take with the safety of you and your families using some of those paint finishes around the eyes or burners on your stoves. That discoloration means that the products are OFF-GASSING, emitting toxic vapors into your home... not good! Worse still, you are standing directly in the vapor cloud while stirring your pots, etc.! Even if you don't see any visible changes, acrylic, acrylic enamel, and lacquer paints just cannot stand up to those kind of temps and are breaking down... i.e. off-gassing. Even the Teflon in your cookware puts out enough toxins to kill pet birds at any temps over medium heat (300+ degrees)... research the internet and refer to your owner's guide.

a number of threads suggest thorough cleaning and then coating with vegetable oil and "seasoning " in the oven till its backed on and shinny

a number of threads suggest thorough cleaning and then coating with vegetable oil and "seasoning " in the oven till its backed on and shinny
They're not really dirty or grubby - it's just that they somehow have become a bit rusty looking. She's Asian and cooked these special foods for Lunar New Year for which she simmered big pots of this stuff for days. That and her normal kind of oily cooking has taken their toll on the looks of our grates. She's mad at me now because I said something unkind about her cooking. I'd like to refresh the look of these things. If coating them in veggie oil and baking the, - for how long. That sounds pretty easy. Did you find that on a net search Poly?

Have you checked the price on new ones? Some aren't too bad.

It seems like there are porcelain coated and raw cast ones. The cast ones could be treated with vegetable oil, just remember it's going to make quite a bit of smoke if done in the house. I know cast iron skillet manufacturers cure them with an oil but don't remember what they use.

Good luck.

They're not really dirty or grubby - it's just that they somehow have become a bit rusty looking. She's Asian and cooked these special foods for Lunar New Year for which she simmered big pots of this stuff for days. That and her normal kind of oily cooking has taken their toll on the looks of our grates. She's mad at me now because I said something unkind about her cooking. I'd like to refresh the look of these things. If coating them in veggie oil and baking the, - for how long. That sounds pretty easy. Did you find that on a net search Poly?

yes here's one of the results, none of them say how long to "season" but numerous saying the same thing all sugesst its just like seasoning a cast iron skillet or grill
http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/40267/is-it-ok-to-re-paint-a-gas-range-grill-with-paint

Auto Transport Service
Back