• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you upgrade to AC? (no underdash)

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
Just out of interest because i will buy a 69 Charger soon.

Would it be possible to upgrade a Non AC Car to AC without installing a Underdash unit?
Would i have to swap the whole Dashboard or would it be possible just to swap the heat, vent, ac controls in an existing Dashboard?
If possible are the nesscary Parts available or do i have to get original parts used?

There are quite a few options i want in the car, so i want to be as flexible as possible. :)

Yes, yes, and yes. I use Classic Auto Air, Ice cold for ten years. Others like Vintage Air. Both can do what you want.

https://www.classicautoair.com/mopa...ing_mopar_ac/mopar-b-body-complete-ac-system/
MOPAR-B-BODY-COMPLETE-AC-SYSTEM-400x300.jpg

Thanks very much!!! The Picture is a bit small but i guess heat will not be affected and still work right? (cant read the control labels)

What i meant is does the Heater still works when installing such an AC?
Think yes because it would be stupid if not but want to be sure. :)

vintage air has the controls that look original watch video

Just watched the Video, thanks for the Info. :)
As i care about stock look i think that favors the one from Vintage Air.

Last edited:
65 Satellite I installed Vintage Air kit. Ice cold for 4 years. My brother in law works for them so I didn't even think of other brands

I need to bump this one more time.
I noticed that the Dashboard from the Non AC Cars is a bit different than that from the AC Cars.
The AC Cars have some Vents that the non AC Cars do not have!
See Pictures:

AC Car:
ac car.jpg

Non AC Car:
non ac 1.jpg

non ac 2.jpg

Here is a car with the retrofitted Vintage Air AC System.
1546891974DSC_0019.JPG.jpg

As you can see it has the (aftermarket) Vents retrofitted under the dash.
I do not want something like that.

So my Question is can you Remove the Covers from the Non AC Dash and swap them for some Vents like in the AC Car or do you have to swap the whole dashboard/use underdash vents when using an aftermarket AC like Vintage or Classic Air AC?

Kind Regards,
Michael

c'mon somebody has to know that.

Yes, the Classic Auto Air Kit has underdash vents to use in non ac cars. I purchased the piece show in the first picture with the red interior. A Princely sum of about $400. Not installed yet. It included the center piece, a routing box that goes behind it, and the 2 outside vents that will require dash modification. FYI, the 69 vents are metal, and the 70’s are plastic but look the same. Go by the weight if purchasing. Got it in Van Nuys from Daryl Finch, Wrightwood, California. Desert Auto parts. Overpriced with nefarious reputation. But, he has the STUFF.

You would need to buy dash parts that came from a 68-69 B body that originally had A/C to get the "in dash" vents. The one in the center is a dash mounted "pad" that might actually be available as a new reproduction. The ones at the sides of the dash are likely to only be found as used parts.

Okay so its possible to use Vintage Air and Classic Air without underdash Vents but i would have to buy the Dash Parts from an AC Car.
Thanks for the info, thats exactly what i wanted to know. :)

You would need to buy dash parts that came from a 68-69 B body that originally had A/C to get the "in dash" vents. The one in the center is a dash mounted "pad" that might actually be available as a new reproduction. The ones at the sides of the dash are likely to only be found as used parts.
No repro of center soft with vent. Seller told me he had to cannibalize 3 units to put together a working vent.

No repro of center soft with vent. Seller told me he had to cannibalize 3 units to put together a working vent.
Classic Auto Air has the center vent setup for those that can accept a non-OEM look. Most people won’t know the difference but it’ll be obvious to the purists. A little time spent with a chrome marker would help disguise it.

173F2EA5-89D9-4653-8DC7-13C8A299D190.jpeg 8D860CA2-D8F6-4ABF-A539-0FD38828F26C.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back