• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAN'T BELIEVE IT !!!!!!

popslavaz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
Well today I signed up for MEDICARE !!!! I can still remember the day mom,dad and I went to SAPER Chrysler Plymouth in Joliet IL. and bought my brand new 1971 Roadrunner. Had to order bench seat 4 speed because our insurance man would not insure me with bucket seats??? State Farm !!!! POPS

I don't understand why buckets would affect insurance cost.....?? If anything, it would be the engine with a 4 speed that killed the deal lol

You can get into more trouble with a bench seat than buckets. And that has nothing to do with driving. The car, that is....

I gained the habit of using the seat belt in my bench seat superbee. It helped keep me in front of the steering wheel.

I beat you to the Medicare sign up thing by a few months. lol
Me, i ordered a 71 Cuda, in May of 71.

I gained the habit of using the seat belt in my bench seat superbee. It helped keep me in front of the steering wheel.
In the late 60's I was hauling butt around the new high school foot ball stadium parking lot when it was ground up shell with the back end of the car hanging out and throwing the stuff all over the place until I got into a soft spot I guess. Dang near rolled the car. It planted my butt against the passenger door with just my left hand hanging onto the steering wheel. All I could see was sky out of the driver's window but when things settled down, I got back behind the wheel, buckled up and went back at it! Been wearing a seat belt ever since...

I beat you to the Medicare sign up thing by a few months. lol
Me, i ordered a 71 Cuda, in May of 71.
I was in basic training in the AF in May of 71 where I turned 20! Man, I thought that the Army draft had passed me up! At least was able to get out of going into the Army by lying to the AF about not having my 'greetings' letter yet....

Oh my Saper Chrysler thats a blast from the past. My father bought a 1974 Imperial from them, i don't remember if they were still on S. Chicago St or if they moved to the corner of Jefferson and Hammes during the early 70s.

I think mine will come next year. I have a lot of questions about it. I may contact you.

I think mine will come next year. I have a lot of questions about it. I may contact you.
You'll get all the information in the mail. The system works well for the most part. The tax cuts that are taking affect supposedly include cuts to Medicare, so we need to pay attention to that. I belong to AARP and they pay close attention to benefits for seniors which like it or not you are now one of. Its reported they donate to the DNC and that turns some people off. Well when you feel it in your wallet keep that in mind. The fact is they lobby for seniors and will report how these tax cuts might affect Medicare benefits. We can thank President(s) Truman and Johnson for the health insurance we have via our government at age 65. Sometimes politicians do get it right.

SKI 61701 , They were on the west side by then but still kept cars on Chicago street. Ted Benson Dodge to the west on Jefferson.
Saw my first "wing" car at Sapers on Chicago street,my brother's and I walked over and drooled all over it!!!!! Wonder ware it's at now???? POPS

I'm still 4 years away form collecting :lol: if I collect at 62

I still remember the day my parents went from Concord to
over the Bay Bridge to SF {name ?} Chrysler Plymouth Dealership,
to pick up my Mom's 1st ever brand new car
1968 GG1/Forest Green Poly & white top/interior
383 4bbl 4 speed Sport Satellite, we had waited some 12 weeks for
after ordering, it had buckets w/headrests {was an option then}
& console, even A/C that **** was pricey back then...
1st thing we did when mom was driving, was buckle up
she was hard on the brakes a lot :lol:
took her a while to get use to the power brakes,
she had driven a 57 Plymouth Savoy Wagon
& a 57 Ford ranch wagon prior, both with little to no frills/options

I don't remember the insurance stuff, until I got my license
& had to always pay my own way, for all aspects of driving,
I thought it was a total extortion racket...

I still do too...

Another blast from the past..... Ted Benson Dodge its been at least 30yrs since I even heard that name lol

I'm 65 in May, so I have to sign to Medicare. Being in the mix of cancer treatment & on medi-cal, I hope it doesn't upset the apple cart.

I don't understand why buckets would affect insurance cost.....?? If anything, it would be the engine with a 4 speed that killed the deal lol

A great article I JUST read this past week by Albert Drake
The BIG little GTO book
"Albert Drake"

th.jpg

In this book he shows how the Insurance companies "targeted" certain words in Car manufacturers brochures and used these words to refuse Insurance OR raise rates to a unattainable High dollar mark making them unaffordable to the average consumer
Here are a couple of the words used to target the cars:
1. Radial tires
2. 4-speed
3. Hurst
4. 4-BBL
5. Tachometer
6. "GT"
So, YES, Bucket seats was probably on that "LIST"
PS: He received the LIST form a Insurance "confidant" who enjoyed Muscle cars
Remember" Liberty Insurance company was "one" of the Insurance companies that "Lobbied" Congress to BAN Muscle cars.

R/T was one of the biggies that killed things but Dodge got around that with the 340 Rallye Pack Challenger that looked exactly like an R/T all the way down to the exhaust tips. Crazy stuff....

R/T was one of the biggies that killed things but Dodge got around that with the 340 Rallye Pack Challenger that looked exactly like an R/T all the way down to the exhaust tips. Crazy stuff....

Right on Cranky...
"EXACTLY"
So, in this book (It's not just about GTOs BTW, a great read) he mentions how FORD in 1970 threw a curve ball into the fray, built the uber rare 1970 SCJ 429 Drag Pack cars and called them "Falcons"
And then Pontiac jumped in with the 1971 and offered the LeMans with the 455 H.O engines (A well disguised GTO)

Yes, ALL "R/T" stuff was Flagged as he states in the book along with the terms "GTX"
So Mopar dropped the GTX name in 1971
Many more interesting things....

But in the early 70's, the EPA came into being and more or less killed performance cars with their mandates for up coming pollution controls. The only engines that maintained decent compression in 71 for Mopar was the 340 and the Hemi.....

HEY SKI, Forgot to tell you the name while on Chicago Street------Wait for it !!!!!!! SOUTH TOWN MOTORS
Now that's a blast from our past's LMAO POPS

Auto Transport Service
Back