• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't get steering u-joint off splines on column.

David Womby

Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
My engine and transmission are Mopar but the rest of my car isn't. However, you folks come up with some great solutions so I thought I'd ask about this.

The pic below shows the problem: I can't get the u-joint off the splined end of the steering column. It has to come out as the u-joint is inside a crossbeam that I need to remove for rust repair. The hole the steering column passes through is too small for the U-joint to go through to take it out of there. I have removed the clamping bolts on both ends of the u-joint and the steering box end slides freely. The steering column end will not shift. Applying leverage just pulls the whole steering column down towards the steering box by about 1/2". I have applied PB Blaster penetrant, I have applied heat (albeit with only a small propane torch) and I have hammered a chisel in there (many, many times and you can see one stuck in there in the pic) but it won't separate from the column splines.

Any suggestions, please?

David

20230219_163458.jpg

That is rusted and both sides are ferrous metal. I would apply heat from a torch, propane won’t do it, not hot enough. I don’t see any seals that will get hurt on the area.

Yes to above. You probably need to make it glow a little bit before it will come loose....

JB blaster or Supper Zilla lube. Yes, heat is your friend. Have used a Heat gun instead of flames sometimes it works or don't.

Try a chisel in to the split seam, then spray some penetrant in the splines

That's some crusty ****. Heat as R413 stated above. Pickle fork on an air hammer perhaps?

My engine and transmission are Mopar but the rest of my car isn't. However, you folks come up with some great solutions so I thought I'd ask about this.

The pic below shows the problem: I can't get the u-joint off the splined end of the steering column. It has to come out as the u-joint is inside a crossbeam that I need to remove for rust repair. The hole the steering column passes through is too small for the U-joint to go through to take it out of there. I have removed the clamping bolts on both ends of the u-joint and the steering box end slides freely. The steering column end will not shift. Applying leverage just pulls the whole steering column down towards the steering box by about 1/2". I have applied PB Blaster penetrant, I have applied heat (albeit with only a small propane torch) and I have hammered a chisel in there (many, many times and you can see one stuck in there in the pic) but it won't separate from the column splines.

Any suggestions, please?

David

View attachment 1420788
just drive a wedge here and it will open up.

20230219_163458wwww.jpg

I'm just curious as to what the actual car is. OP said it was Mopar powered but not a Mopar? Is it one of those Jensen Healy cars?

I'm just curious as to what the actual car is. OP said it was Mopar powered but not a Mopar? Is it one of those Jensen Healy cars?
1964 Bristol 408. Left factory with Chrysler Canada 313 but now has 1978 360 and has 1962 rebuilt pushbutton 727.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

David

Just to close this. I applied the propane torch for 30 minutes today. Then after some levering with a pickle fork, the splines came clear of the u-joint. Thanks for all the advice.

Here's the suspension subframe/crossbeam out of the car!!!!!
20230220_131308.jpg

Thanks again.

David

Last edited:
Wow that's quite the thing. Pretty heavy?

Just to close this. I applied the propane torch for 30 minutes today. Then after some levering with a pickle fork, the spines came clear of the u-joint. Thanks for all the advice.

Here's the suspension subframe/crossbeam out of the car!!!!!View attachment 1421369

Thanks again.

David
We all just knew you would get it out. Awesome

Auto Transport Service
Back