• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capacity?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone here tell me what size alternator would use stator PN 3438754? Thanks!
Mike

Mike,
It appears that the stator on the kryslekid's link is for a square back alternator. The giveaway is the crimped on termination which attach to the diode connections. Usually the green insulated stator wire is usually indicative of a 60 amp unit. The square back diodes are spot welded to the respective heat sink with the positive diode bank connected to an insulated heat sink and stud. The original round back alternator design uses pressed in negative diodes and pressed in to an insulated positive heat sink. The stator connections are soldered to the respective positive/ negative diode interface. In both cases, the alternator is a three phase fullwave bridge design. Current is limited by impedance (alternating current's equalivant of direct current's resistance) and the size and number of turns per phase of the stator windings. Output voltage is controlled by field voltage/current in the rotor circuit thru the brushes by the voltage regulator.
Bob Renton

Mike,
It appears that the stator on the kryslekid's link is for a square back alternator. The giveaway is the crimped on termination which attach to the diode connections. Usually the green insulated stator wire is usually indicative of a 60 amp unit. The square back diodes are spot welded to the respective heat sink with the positive diode bank connected to an insulated heat sink and stud. The original round back alternator design uses pressed in negative diodes and pressed in to an insulated positive heat sink. The stator connections are soldered to the respective positive/ negative diode interface. In both cases, the alternator is a three phase fullwave bridge design. Current is limited by impedance (alternating current's equalivant of direct current's resistance) and the size and number of turns per phase of the stator windings. Output voltage is controlled by field voltage/current in the rotor circuit thru the brushes by the voltage regulator.
Bob Renton
Thanks Bob,I've rebuilt dozens of both styles but, I was interested in the stator output rating. Sounds like 60 amps is just what I was looking for!
I worked in several Chrysler dealerships back in the 70's so I'm quite familiar with the design and I liked your explanation!

Mike,
The alternator's ultimate capacity is determined by the AC current and voltage developed by the stator and in turn, rectified by the diodes. It is my opinion that in round back and square back alternators, the stator windings will interchange physically (knowing that the diode connection method is different) so use the stator with the highest capacity. I also believe both bearings interchange (single row ball bearing on the drive end and a caged needle bearing on the opposite drive end). Diodes are another issue. Early (1960-1966) Mopar alternators used lower amperage diodes; later editions used 60 amp diodes. The square back alternators used diodes spot welded to their respective heat sinks and had a 60+ amp rating. This is just my opinion .
Bob Renton

Bob,
I may have some factory introduction information on the square back model. When I get some time I will look through my library collection and if I find something good I will get back with you to share. Thanks.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back