• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAr Batteries

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
This topic has probably been discussed before ,but I would like to keep the look of the red cap mopar battery...My resto lasted about 3 years @ a high price..... How much trouble will it be to gut my battery? I as told There are only 2 battery manufacturers left in the U.S. AC Delco and Exide. What are you guys using...

I use Optima's exclusively now, best batteries I've ever owned, I had them in everything including My 99 4x4 V8 Dakota, my 68 RR in the trunk, my old Ram 4x4 2500-3500 trucks, Toyota 4x4's all had Red top Optimas, even my Golf cart {yellow top} & Boat {blue top} has one, even the RV has 2 Yellow top Optima's, my oldest one was just under 14 y/o when it finally died, it was in my old golf cart for years then my 99 Dakota until just recently... They are by far the best investment I've ever made, in batteries IMHFO.... But they don't look anything like an original Mopar battery, but that's no what I want, I want Quality & Dependability not a OEM look either... hell you could mount them upside down if you really wanted too, they are extremely vibration resistant & completely maintenance free, superior gel filled spherical core...

any other brand your DAMN lucky if you even get a couple years out of them

especially if the car sits allot

I also have been using Optima batteries for a long time now........not "factory" looking but I have never had a failure. One suggestion is keep some sort of a "smart" battery charger connected to any battery when it is parked (not including your daily driver of course).....I use the Battery Tender brand....have one connected to all my classic vehicles as well as my 2 tractors and home generator.......when kept charged up the batteries seems to last at least twice as long and more even...have had the Optima red top in my 72 Olds 442 for 10 years now and still going strong........will be putting one in the Roadrunner soon.........

This topic has probably been discussed before ,but I would like to keep the look of the red cap mopar battery...My resto lasted about 3 years @ a high price..... How much trouble will it be to gut my battery? I as told There are only 2 battery manufacturers left in the U.S. AC Delco and Exide. What are you guys using...

I like the look of the reproduction batteries but dont like the price. I use the 65 series die hard gold battery with 880cca. Cranks and fires a big block nice & easy, just fits stock battery tray. If it's good enough for a cummins diesel I figure that it will be pleasant overkill for the chrysler gas engines. Has a 3 year warranty and you can get it for 100 dollars from sears online.

I have looked at battery toppers but they only work for series 24 batteries which tend to have much less cold cranking amps, on top of being smaller than the original mopar batteries.

I have a red cap battery in my hemi Charger that came with the car that is known to be at least two years old. I have heard these repop batteries are maintenance free but this one isn't. The caps unscrew and you put water in them like any battery from back in the day. I will also say that this battery had the guts sucked out of it twice due to a faulty headlight motor and came back to life with a charge. It seems to hold a charge after a month or more of sitting too. At this point I'd like to know who made it.

- - - Updated - - -

All my other cars get whatever I find for a good price.

Auto Transport Service
Back