• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car sag in the rear.

Doug Larsson

Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1973 Charger SE I've noticed the front end sits up higher than the rear I put new shocks on it. The rear springs have been in the car since new do I purchase stock ones again or do they have ones that raise the car up or do I just go with air shocks. Any helps greatly appreciated
Doug

Eaton springs are American made and more correct than any other aftermarket spring available

I had good luck with ESPO springs. They can make them so the car sits how you want it. Price was good.

Springs hold the car up. Shocks control bounce not height. Most people that used air shocks after a while changed the springs and got rid of the air shocks.

Springs hold the car up. Shocks control bounce not height. Most people that used air shocks after a while changed the springs and got rid of the air shocks.
That's exactly what I did back in the 80's, had air shocks to keep the arse end up, but when I restored the car, got new springs from ESPO springs and things, and car sits like it was intended to with a nice stance and no sag!

That's exactly what I did back in the 80's, had air shocks to keep the arse end up, but when I restored the car, got new springs from ESPO springs and things, and car sits like it was intended to with a nice stance and no sag!
Did you get the oem springs or did you ask for and extra leaf ?

EATON Detroit Spring
Leaf Springs Rear 2 ML151 $ 249.50 $ 499.00
Install Kit Rear 1 IKCC1009 $ 74.95
$181.00 shipping
Total $755.35
That's awfully spendy wow.

Option 3 would be to have the springs re-arched. I have seen it done and have done it myself. If you do it yourself don't get carried away (as I did).

Maybe the torsion bars are cranked up. Do you want to lower the front or raise the rear. Post a picture of the side of your car.

Maybe the torsion bars are cranked up. Do you want to lower the front or raise the rear. Post a picture of the side of your car.
This car has never been touched in that regard its completely stock never been cut up.

20170502_181912.jpg 20170502_181843.jpg

If that was my car I would turn the front bars down. Way too much fender gap on the front IMO. Rear looks good where it's at. If you put new springs on you may end up with the same ride height you have now.

I wasn't referring to any cutting or anything.

When a alignment is done, often the height will be corrected at that time, only take a few minutes. If it was different from right to left that would be very possible. They also might not charge extra for doing that.

edit: i like to measure from top of wheel trim to ground, all the way around

When a alignment is done, often the height will be corrected at that time, only take a few minutes. If it was different from right to left that would be very possible. They also might not charge extra for doing that.

edit: i like to measure from top of wheel trim to ground, all the way around
So are you saying I should go to a alignment shop and have them lower it ? Or are you saying after I lower it take it to a alignment shop ?

No, more like what is the height on all 4 corners? And write it down. Compare front to rear AND right to left. You should have close to the same numbers at all 4 corners. IF you have to change very much height(front) then the alignment might need checking. Also compare tire wear for wearing even. If tire wear is even then you might be OK.

If you have had an alignment done, I was mainly saying that the height is often checked along with checking air pressure at all 4 tires for a good alignment.

I just recently put new springs on the back. I wanted the nostalgic raised look, so had the spring company make them to heavy duty specs , and it rides good as stock. They were made in Omaha Nebraska. $300 for the pair , which included new front eye bushings. and $16 for all new rubber shackel bushings. ...............................MO

resized 6.jpg IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0058.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back