• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car stereo guys- can I add soft start to a good, older amp?

YY1

Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
I have a SUPER nice "Coustic" brand true 100 watt per channel car amp circa 1990.

It's half the size of a radiator and sounds awesome.

The only issue is it's not soft start, and pops loudly when you turn on the head unit.

Can I buy or make an inline module to eliminate this problem?

I have a SUPER nice "Coustic" brand true 100 watt per channel car amp circa 1990.

It's half the size of a radiator and sounds awesome.

The only issue is it's not soft start, and pops loudly when you turn on the head unit.

Can I buy or make an inline module to eliminate this problem?
Try this if your head unit does not have a "remote" lead. Connecting the remote to the amp will eliminate surge "pop".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...f_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8SY3PQ065NQP1MSAH1KS

Also, a capacitor in line should help as well with @bove remote start.

A cap will store power and feed the amp so not a great big surge of power to amp and easier on your system. I’ve got 2 caps in the charger, one for each amp!

Head unit does have a remote lead, the amp is just too early for soft start.

I'm not sure of the actual year, but I remember a few years before I bought it used, soft start was a big new thing.

Check your grounds on the amp. Make sure the negative is as big or bigger than positive. Check for solid grounds on the head unit. Check the grounds by the battery. Need to have a big wire for battery grounds. Bigger is always better for grounds.

Turn your gains down. If your gains are turned all the way up, you're using an underpowered amp.

Most older amps do make a "pop" through the speakers, but it should not be loud. To help eliminate the "pop", put a toggle switch on the remote wire between the head unit and amplifier. Some head units struggle with powering the remote wire on startup. The toggle switch will allow the head unit to power up first.

Auto Transport Service
Back