• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Value..HELP

penstar4ever

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a 69 GTX. Body numbers match. Black plate car out of California. Guy has owned it since 1979. All original sheet metal. No rust or bondo. Here is the kicker..No fender tag,has 383/727 other owner blew up 440 and put the 383 in it.Was a 4 speed car(hump still there and ball socket on frame rail still there)-now auto with column shift. Has 8 3/4 instead of dana. Has 120 speedo instead of 150. Has air grabber vents but no air grabber. Has bench seat vise buckets. He bought it this way. A4 silver car. I know about what ever someone will pay for a car. If I got it I would pass it down to my boys,but trying to get it back would be a lot of money. Thanks for your help....

What about the Broadcast Sheet?

Sounds like a very typical car that has gone through a number of owners since new, fixed with what was available or affordable. If you are looking for originality this isn't the car for you unless you want to spend the $$ to bring it back. Not saying it is a bad car, just that it is going to take some effort to get it back to how it was made and in the end you still will have a none matching numbers car (again not necessarily a bad thing).

Point is this, if the car is cheap then it might be worth the effort but I suspect it isnt. Take a moment to figure out what it will cost to get it back to where you think it should be, then subtract that number of the cost of cars in that condition and this is where you should be with this car. As an example, if you think it is going to cost $10K to get it back to 440 4spd dana trim (thats probably on the way low side) and non matching but otherwise original cars are going for $40K, this car should cost no more than $30K.

Wonder why the 150 speedo was swapped out? Do the last 6 digits on the dash VIN match the 6 on the trunk gutter? Have the rosette rivets on the dash tag been changed?

Yep what does the vin say? numbers stamped on the sheetmetal? We see people wanting $4-5000 for rusted out 68-70 RR and X's. (Wanting.) Not for me. Carin Ca or CT!???

It was probably a parts car at one point or perhaps had an electrical problem that took out the cluster or who knows. Got to remember that there was a time when these were just "old cars" and when they broke, many became parts cars, went to salvage yards, etc. It would be cool to know the details of all of their lives but we seldom do. I am working on a 70 RR right now that has a 68 Charger instrument cluster and steering column in it, why? who knows but if I have to guess I would say that someone liked the RR better or the Charger was worse off, then again maybe someone had or knew someone that had parts, hard to say.

The VIN obvious gives you the model and engine size, what you see in the car tells you it was a 4 speed, there are probably other clues to various attributes and options but without a fender tag and/or broadcast sheet there is no way to know for sure unless it has something that could only support that one option (i.e. holes for buckets). Pretty much everything option wise could be and was bolted or screwed on.

Wonder why the 150 speedo was swapped out? Do the last 6 digits on the dash VIN match the 6 on the trunk gutter? Have the rosette rivets on the dash tag been changed?
....geeze...I'm totally on board with Hunt2elk on this one.....when speedo's fail....I can understand swapping out stuff.....but 150's aren't that hard to find....neither are some of the other issues this car has....loss of fender tag....but its all about price....those issues aside...if you want to get it, go for it.....they don't grow GTX cars on trees......I just hope the DNA is all there......

i just saw a rebuilt fresh dana 60 for a bbody on the fb,
he wants 3500 bucks tho.
do you want me to inbox you the link?

I would agree that the 150 speedos are not that hard to find today, but back in the day they were.

Just a thought, Back in the 70's these were just cars. Cut, swap , somebody want to trade,seats,dash, gauges you did it.
Back then we were making 2 to 5 bucks a hour. No one had money so you traded. We robbed Peter to pay Paul as the saying goes .
In 1970 my brother had a 68 R/T. A friend had a 69 Six Pack Super Bee. Yanked the Dana out of the Bee and swapped in the
68 8 3/4. The guy was off to Viet Nam. His dad was going to trade the Bee in for a station wagon.
Happened all the time.
Bought a 70 RR in 74. Had the Air Grabber handle on the dash but a standard hood.You know somebody swapped it.
As far as what it's worth. Anything rust free is worth allot in my books.Question is what is the plan for the car? If it's for a fun car for you and the boys then make a offer if they won't give you a price. $10K -$15K? more if it's something you really want.
Now if you plan on restoring it to original for a investment for your boys ( who may not want it in the future anyway) you may want to use the car money for them on something that will increase in the future.
Sorry for the long post, Kinda got lost in past memories of the car culture of the 70's.

I’ve always said it..... this time s a hobby for many, and getting these cars out and up is all that matters to me. So many have rotted away in the last 20 years.... but maybe that’s the way it should be, but for the ones that have been spared....we few who have them are lucky

Dash rivets are original. No broadcast sheet. All body numbers are there and match the VIN.
That is a good sign. I thought maybe somebody swapped the dash frames.

As long as the VIN is good, the car is worth 18 to 20 grand. California original sheetmetal cars don't grow on trees. I would offer 12 grand, and go from there.

3500 for a dana,2000K? for a complete 4 speed setup,the air grabber parts? 1500?
and then the seats and interior which can eat up a lot of money say another 2k?
plus then the body goes to the shop for paint and whats that gonna cost?
another 6 grand? on the cheap side?
o and hey hell still need a 440 close to his build date And all the other small items.
i stopped counting way back around 14k...we havent even gotten to the dash,
Or the amount of labor involved in such project.

seems like valuing 18k for a car that you will need to drop 25k into thats worth 40-50k isnt entirely sane to me.
are you sure you read his whole post??

I fully appreciate your dilemma. From my perspective, the body, if it's as clean as claimed is worth a lot. You never appreciate how expensive it is to repair a rusty one. I'd always go for the cleaner body vs something less with a fender tag or build sheet. What you describe as missing or wrong is all stuff you can replace over time and you can enjoy the car in the mean time. Good luck with your purchase!

Uh yeah. I’m saying maybe $10k. Your missing everything that makes it a GTX. Values, pre-COVID, are maybe $35k-$40 for a very shiny correct looking GTX with all the right parts that were not born with the car. Take away broadcast sheet and fender tag and I’m not sure it’s even that strong on value.

Another wrench is...not sure if it came with a console or not..trying to get guy to look if there was brackets that were ground off.

....geeze...I'm totally on board with Hunt2elk on this one.....when speedo's fail....I can understand swapping out stuff.....but 150's aren't that hard to find....neither are some of the other issues this car has....loss of fender tag....but its all about price....those issues aside...if you want to get it, go for it.....they don't grow GTX cars on trees......I just hope the DNA is all there......

It also depends on when the car was put together last time..I remember driving to every junkyard within about 100 miles of my place looking for parts in the 90's...Things are "easy" to find now because of Craigslist and Ebay and whatnot...But just a little while ago it wasn't the case...

Auto Transport Service
Back