• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car won't start

1967 satellite

Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
My 67 satellite started yesterday and had no problems. Today went to start and cranks but won't start. Gas is getting to the carb. Where should I start?

UPDATE. Problem was the ECU box. Changed and fired right up. Many thanks to all.

Last edited:
Is it even trying to start, or just cranking? Check your choke, is it stuck closed? Are you getting spark?

Coil (?) possibly too

MoPar Coil Primary coil test - to + posts 0.75-0.81 ohms secondary center to + 10k-11k ohms.jpg
MoPar Coil Secondary coil test 10k-11k ohms.jpg

I've has a bunch of **** coils of late it seems
don't know why either, even good brands

ballast resistor

MoPar Ballast Resistors test.png

or possibly fusible link

If it still has them, points or capacitor fried

faulty grounds, loose of maybe frayed wiring etc.

Main Bulkhead connections on the firewall
it's ^^^^ corrosion & oxidation could be a culprit too

lots of things it could be, I'd check for spark 1st thing
if it's getting gas already,
has to be air or spark or something related

good luck

Last edited:
I'd start here.
Disconnect both sides of the the ballast and test for voltage at the connectors per this.........
upload_2020-9-9_16-59-10.png

Sorry.. but just jumper the ballast (or pull one sides wire and jam it against the other) and see if it starts. No need for meters. If it runs.. ballast is cooked.

Are you running electronic ignition or points?
I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. In my case, the ECU took a crap. Swapping my spare and she fired right up.

Ok here's what I found during testing. Ballest resistor 1.9 ohms, 1.5 ohms coil primary, 9000 ohms coil secondary. NO SPARK, plenty of gas. What should I replace or continue checking for something else. Many thanks.

Last edited:
ECU or pickup coil
Try and pull off the coil wire and hold 3/16" from a ground. Crank over spark should be blue and crisp. Check to see if it starts sparking when you change from start to run position after cranking for a second. In other words don't go
From start to off with the key.
Could be the bulkhead connector.

I would put a test light on the negative side of coil and see it it flashes that will tell you if you are getting a pulse signal to fire the coil. If you get a pulse that means every thing leading to coil is working, if you dont have a pulse ignition box or pick up in distributor

Start with the simplest things first. You ruled out the ballast, coil appears good, getting fuel, no spark. Next would be to pull the cap and make sure the rotor turns when cranking. Then look into the rest of it. My guess is if you have a Mopar orange box electronic ignition, the ignition box crapped out.

Many thanks to everyone that responded. Received great advice on what to check and finally was able to determine the problem. Bad ECU box. Replaced it with a new one and fired right up. What a great site to refer too with a problem or questions. You guys are great. Many thanks again.

ECU or pickup coil
Try and pull off the coil wire and hold 3/16" from a ground. Crank over spark should be blue and crisp. Check to see if it starts sparking when you change from start to run position after cranking for a second. In other words don't go
From start to off with the key.
Could be the bulkhead connector.
Was the Ecu box, many thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back