• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb choice with n96

Aarons Air

Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
I have a 68 coronet. I'm putting a 383 in it. I have a 69 n96 dual scoop hood i'm using. From what i've read in previous threads, the only intake that will work for hood clearance to the air cleaner top is the factory one. I would like to know if i'm limited to using the original carter style carb, or if something else ( better ) would work with a 68 383 stock intake ? I'd like to use a good 750.

DP4b made by edlebrock back in the day will work. They come up for sale once and awhile...

DP4B are good. I'm a single plane guy, an old TM6 is low & has small enough ports to work well on the street. 650 -750 Holley DP works good with a little tinkering, a size or two in jets, squirter size & accelerator pump cam. 3310 style vacum carb is good too.

DP4B are good. I'm a single plane guy, an old TM6 is low & has small enough ports to work well on the street. 650 -750 Holley DP works good with a little tinkering, a size or two in jets, squirter size & accelerator pump cam. 3310 style vacum carb is good too.
A Holley 750 dp is the first thing i tried. I discovered it doesn't sit flush on the intake. Is cutting the intake to allow it the " tinkering" you refer to ?

What I think he means is a Carter/edlebrock is an easy fit but very limited tuneability.......Hence go with a Holley...

A Holley 750 dp is the first thing i tried. I discovered it doesn't sit flush on the intake. Is cutting the intake to allow it the " tinkering" you refer to ?

I guess I'm not sure what the issue is. My Holley & Carter carbs are the same height. Not sure what you mean by "sitting flush" on the intake.

Just food for thought-use a 1972 400 Thermoquad cast iron intake with a nice early 850 Thermoquad. The 72 intake has no emissions stuff on it and uses the early style choke. The casting number is 3614046. They're not common but they are out there. You are pretty much limited to a stock cast iron intake, all aftermarket intakes are taller, some more than others.

the carter/edelbrocks are very easy to tune. people try to apply holley methods to the carters and aren't always successful. back in the day i pounded on a 383 4spd car. i did a track comparison between a 440avs and a 780 holley (780 holley is identical to a 800dp in venturi and throttle bore size. no real flow difference.). e.t.'s were identical. all a 750 edelbrock needs is smaller primary jets and rods. i used a dp4b, an old crower 201hj, and 1/3" hookers. i'm not certain a dp4b will fit under the hood of an n96 car using the stock air cleaner base.

I've been down this road. I've run a 383 4bbl, 440 4bbl and 440+6 in my car, all with N96. The 383/340 N96 bases are roughly 1" taller than the 440 4bbl bases. I believe the 440 sits roughly 1" higher in the engine bay. You have about 1/2"-1" clearance between the air cleaner & N96 hood to play with. I "think" you've got a little more clearance with the '70-'72 style "round lid" N96 air cleaners vs. the big oval '69 ones. I tried a few aftermarket intakes on a 440 4bbl and nothing would clear, even with no carb spacers, except the stock intake. I got a 750 vac secondary 3310 Holley to fit just barely with a stock intake by grinding away (1/8"-1/4") on one little part on the end of one of the throttle plates & by grinding about 1/8" off the side of a stock intake right above the hole for the choke, on the side of the intake, right beneath where the carburetor sits & then the Holley sat flush on the intake. IF you can squeeze in a 1/2" carb spacer, you wouldn't need to grind the carb/intake to run a Holley. I didn't try it, but I'm 99% sure that Carter/Edelbrock carbs will sit flush on the intake with no modification.

I've been down this road. I've run a 383 4bbl, 440 4bbl and 440+6 in my car, all with N96. The 383/340 N96 bases are roughly 1" taller than the 440 4bbl bases. I believe the 440 sits roughly 1" higher in the engine bay. You have about 1/2"-1" clearance between the air cleaner & N96 hood to play with. I "think" you've got a little more clearance with the '70-'72 style "round lid" N96 air cleaners vs. the big oval '69 ones. I tried a few aftermarket intakes on a 440 4bbl and nothing would clear, even with no carb spacers, except the stock intake. I got a 750 vac secondary 3310 Holley to fit just barely with a stock intake by grinding away (1/8"-1/4") on one little part on the end of one of the throttle plates & by grinding about 1/8" off the side of a stock intake right above the hole for the choke, on the side of the intake, right beneath where the carburetor sits & then the Holley sat flush on the intake. IF you can squeeze in a 1/2" carb spacer, you wouldn't need to grind the carb/intake to run a Holley. I didn't try it, but I'm 99% sure that Carter/Edelbrock carbs will sit flush on the intake with no modification.
Thanks man ! The part on the throttle body needing ground off is EXACTLY what i meant by, it not sitting flush.

Thanks man ! The part on the throttle body needing ground off is EXACTLY what i meant by, it not sitting flush.

Just take a look and see how much of that throttle rod end part is blocking the carb from sitting flush. On mine, I was able to grind it away a little and I could tell by looking at it that the grinding wouldn't hurt a thing on the carb.

Just take a look and see how much of that throttle rod end part is blocking the carb from sitting flush. On mine, I was able to grind it away a little and I could tell by looking at it that the grinding wouldn't hurt a thing on the carb.
I took the other route. Lol. Ditched the holley. And bought an edelbrock. Thank you.

That works too!
It will work with a li'l jury rigging. But the two aren't meant to fit together. The tabs on the base the air cleaner, which keep it aligned, are directly where the uprights are on the carb.instead of next to them .

20170420_154704.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back