• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carb cleaner

ddpsnake

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
Tore apart a 600 holley i got used,and found some calcium what can i use first to remove it,to bad it was not too old of a carb.

If what you found was really calcium (white, flaky, hard-water deposit stuff), then I recommend you use white vinegar (acetic acid) to remove it & maybe a toothbrush. Rinse with water afterwards & air dry or you can rinse it with household "rubbing alcohol" (70%-92% isopropyl alcohol) to remove the water.

After that, I also suggest you pour two bottles of Heet (red bottle - 100% dry isopropyl alcohol) in your gas tank & run the engine for a while. This will get the water out of your fuel tank & fuel lines. That's where the calcium would come from.....water in your tank.

One other "slim possibility" since it is a used carburetor is that the white stuff is sugar...so that would dissolve in just water. Dumping sugar in somebody's gas tank was an old-school method of revenge....not likely, but you never know.

Hard to imagine calcium in a carb, but if in fact that's what it is, CLR should do the trick as well.

upload_2018-3-8_14-5-34.jpeg

Scrape out what you can,shot of carb cleaner(your choice). Gotta kinda agree with Fran.

Hard to imagine calcium in a carb, but if in fact that's what it is, CLR should do the trick as well.

View attachment 580141
Ranger is right on this one too, but if CLR has phosphoric acid still in it (I'm not sure), then it would work, but you better rinse out the carburetor really quick...like 3 minutes or so, to keep it from eating at the metal of the carburetor itself.

Auto Transport Service
Back