• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb I.D

slimt

Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
66 Charger 383 engine.. the carb looks to be original.. any idea what size this would be? No tags found.. I need a rebuild kit for it.. also theres a preasure valve to the left off the gas tube.. is it required or get rid of it?

Thank you.
thumbnail_20180107_213149.jpg

Looks like a carter
the number is normally stamped in the throttle plate on the 3/8 inch edge

If its a carter or edelbrock style you should have a number on the front left corner of the carb just below the front left nut. But it looks like this one. Carter AFB this one is a little different.

carter-afb-four-barrell-carburetor.jpg
But yours is a closer match to this one on ebay. The back part is a little different though. https://www.ebay.com/i/401120495562?rt=nc

Last edited:
It looks like someone installed a pressure regulator before the carb. You shouldn't need it. As instructed above check the mounting flange edge for the 4 digit (usually with a letter suffix) carb number.
Mike

Thanks.. Ill look again..

I finally got the Number.. 4131s C6...

Thank you... Im seeing some dampness around where the gaskets are.. so I am going on a wim saying it leaks air where it shouldnt.. .. its not getting the fuel inside the carb to start the car properly..

that's a small carter afb, typical of the mopar 4bbls of that era. they can be made to be very reliable. probably just needs a cleaning and kit and your good to go. simple to rebuild.

these 4 digit numbers... are they just csting numbers or are they the actual size of each carb? can I go up or down on a carb if I buy one? what is the best thing to do? the c6 is it a date code?

4131 is the model number, c6 date code. they're about 500cfm (for those who live by cfm numbers). one issue with going larger, like a 600 or 650, is the throttle bore size in the manifold. the 600 and 650 have 1 11/16" secondary throttle bores and the early manifolds had 1 9/16" secondary bores. swapping to the '68 or later intake will make upsizing the carb easier.

4131 is the model number, c6 date code. they're about 500cfm (for those who live by cfm numbers). one issue with going larger, like a 600 or 650, is the throttle bore size in the manifold. the 600 and 650 have 1 11/16" secondary throttle bores and the early manifolds had 1 9/16" secondary bores. swapping to the '68 or later intake will make upsizing the carb easier.
Thank you..

Auto Transport Service
Back