• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb Rebuiding

Darrell Lewis

Local time
10:37 PM
Reaction score
Looking for someone to rebuild and update my original carb from my 1967 440 GTX four speed car..

If you are referring to restoring the carb to original appearance then that's a different animal but......if you just need it rebuilt to a good working condition then get a rebuild kit from Chicago carburetor and do it yourself. It really is not that bad, the key is you will use A LOT of carb cleaner, you can buy it in gallons. Take it apart being careful to watch how it all comes apart (take pictures of each step if it helps). Soak all your metal parts in carb cleaner over night and use a brush and compressed air to blow all the passages out and put it all back together. I lay everything out on a table as I take it apart and match it up with the kit.
http://www.chicagocarburetor.com/

If you want the absolute best Scott Smith is your guy. Harms Automotive. His carb rebuilding and restos are spot on.

Harmsauto.com

hi Darrell, I also have a 67 GTX, 440, 4 speed with the original carb.... I sent it off to Harms Auto for a full rebuild. I would highly recommend them.

Thank you for the referrals guys! Darrell, I'd be glad to help you with your restoration if you like, just give me a call if you have any questions.

Thank you!
Scott

Thank you for the referrals guys! Darrell, I'd be glad to help you with your restoration if you like, just give me a call if you have any questions.

Thank you!
Scott
Hello Scott

I have your website page open on my computer but always seems to get busy after 5:00 your time.. I'll try to remember tonight and give you a call..

Looking for someone to rebuild and update my original carb from my 1967 440 GTX four speed car..
Darrel, You are in Ky. give Dave @ Woodruff carbs your work. He's in Youngstown Oh. and he will do you an excellent job. He's helped many Mopar guys out and he's very reasonable & knowledgeable. 330-799-9479, tell him Frank sent you.

Darrell,
My vote....rebuilt it yourself. There is NOTHING to be afraid of. Just get a good rebuild kit....my choice would be a STANDARD MOTOR PTODUCTS "JIFFY KIT", very comprehensive instructions and quality components.
Carbs are very simple devices, with several small passages and drillings....follow the instructions and use s good aerosol cleaner...such as gum out or something similar.
But RESTORATIONS are different than debuilding. Usually the carb is totally dis-assembled and either replated or acid dipped to remove all crud and usually rebushing the throttle shafts, polishing re-assembling and flow testing.
Get some first hand knowledge.....rebuild it yourself!
Bob Renton

Darrell,
My vote....rebuilt it yourself. There is NOTHING to be afraid of. Just get a good rebuild kit....my choice would be a STANDARD MOTOR PTODUCTS "JIFFY KIT", very comprehensive instructions and quality components.
Carbs are very simple devices, with several small passages and drillings....follow the instructions and use s good aerosol cleaner...such as gum out or something similar.
But RESTORATIONS are different than debuilding. Usually the carb is totally dis-assembled and either replated or acid dipped to remove all crud and usually rebushing the throttle shafts, polishing re-assembling and flow testing.
Get some first hand knowledge.....rebuild it yourself!
Bob Renton
Hello Bob

I'm looking for a total Restoration as you mentioned not just a simple rebuild..talked with Scott Harms and sending mine his way.. Thanks for all the input guys..

Hello Bob

I'm looking for a total Restoration as you mentioned not just a simple rebuild..talked with Scott Harms and sending mine his way.. Thanks for all the input guys..
Darrell, Dave @ Woodruff also does the total restoration right down to the correct plating. I know his carbs have won gold @ many of national competitive shows.

Scott does very nice work. He flow tests them before returning to the customer, and it ran perfect after a few easy adjustments.

20191123_144652.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back