• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb Selection for a 512 Stroker

Wookie316

Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
As the title says. I have an 870 Street Avenger and I am considering changing it out and I am curious to what people like out there? I was thinking an HP Holley, but I want to hear about Quick Fuel and Demon opinions too! Here is my build.
512 Stroker (400 block) 513 HP/608Ft/Lbs

MP 452 Aluminum head
Comp adjustable rockers
Comp hydraulic cam 1228 .545 lift 241 intake 247 exhaust
Performer RPM intake
Holley 870 Street Avenger Vac/sec
MSD distributor and 6AL-2 box
Callie's Dragonslayer crank 4.250, 2.750, 2.200
Scat H Beam 4340 Rod
Custom Diamond Piston .045
Power Bond Balancer
McLeod Flywheel
McLeod 6913-07 RST clutch
Tremec TKO600
8 3/4" 3.91

null_zpse5d8a34c.jpg

I have a demon on my car and I love it works great and no problems

850 holley double pumper would be great on that engine!

Just out of curiosity, are you having trouble with the street avenger? I've never had one but have heard lots of good stuff about them.

Just out of curiosity, are you having trouble with the street avenger? I've never had one but have heard lots of good stuff about them.

Honestly other than a rich idle and a bog once and awhile it's not horrible. Only reason I'm really kicking the idea around is because when I had the car dyno tuned the guys said there were much better carb options for the size of my build to really perk things up. They did mention a HP was a good option.
Perhaps I'm over thinking things?

what is the weight of your McLeod flywheel? I like the quick fuel carb.

I have the QFT 850 DP mech secondary's. 4 corner idle, bowl windows all 4 corners. OTB it fired up and ran great. Running it on my 440 / 493 seems to be plenty even though I was told I should be running a 950.

Run a Quickfuel Q950 on my 512
632HP 696Ft/Lbs TQ

Great Carb. Easy to tune, Easy to modify
At Dyno, opened up the secondary high speed air bleeds (a lot-drilled them wider), went up two jet sizes on primary's.
Tuning at home, had to rich up primary idle bleed screws, lean the secondary's a tad and play with the primary and secondary idle speed screws as well. Added a Holley adjustable secondary link to tweak secondary engagement, instead of using 1 of the 3 different sized linkage rods. Works great!

1 hour of tuning with good results. Fun to play with.

Good luck

Holley 950 Street HP on a 505" stroker....set up with an air/fuel monitor and track/street driving

Everything is adjustable and it's a lot cheaper than a race HP.......mine has worked great for 2 seasons now..

Splicer

before you toss out that 870 you need to do a little research on venturi and throttle bore sizes on some of the mentioned carbs. don't get lost in cfm numbers; a lot are bogus. i think you'll find that you will be blowing money on something thats not any better and all you really need is a little tuning.

before you toss out that 870 you need to do a little research on venturi and throttle bore sizes on some of the mentioned carbs. don't get lost in cfm numbers; a lot are bogus. i think you'll find that you will be blowing money on something thats not any better and all you really need is a little tuning.

So what does a guy need to be looking for exactly and what would you recommend? I have heard the CFM thing before but don't quite understand what guys mean?
An avenger is about 1/2" the price of an HP so I assume it is because of design or something? I understand if tuning isn't right a guy is wasting his $.
Bought the avenger because I had it in my mind I needed electric choke. Now realizing I'm not winter or daily driving this thing my thoughts are maybe there is a better option for me? I may be thinking wrong though? Not sure?

Car is mostly street with the odd trip to the track come weekends.

Auto Transport Service
Back