• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carbon Fibre Transmission Shield

Gospel Runner

Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a 727 Transmission Carbon Fiber shield. They are not in stock at any of the major aftermarket auto parts suppliers. If anyone has a lead as to where I can get one, please let me know. Thank you!

I bought mine from A&A trans or from John Cope.... cant remember which... Have you tried either of them??

I will check with them in the morning. Thank you!

I checked with each of them and they cannot get them either. Thanks for trying!

I checked with each of them and they cannot get them either. Thanks for trying!

I don't know how faithful anyone is when showing stock or backorder, but it looks like they can be had from Mancini, or even directly from CSI for the same cost. HTH, Lefty71

I tried Mancini first. They are out until March. I will try CSI first thing Monday. Thank you!

I know carbon fiber is stronger than steel, but I also thought that strength didn't apply for an application like this. It would seem that it would shatter.
Just looking for an explanation.

It would seem that it would shatter.
Just looking for an explanation.

I would look at it like this....Safety glasses can break, so why have them near your eye?? It's because they slow down the projectile and lessen (dampen) the inertia. A carbon fiber shield may break, but it should still direct the carnage down, and severely lessen the impact against the floorboard, thereby protecting the occupant. They are lightweight and reletively close fitting to the trans is the reason people want them. But there is a bit of an airspace between them and the trans, so they should not shatter with the case. They are approved as both trans and flywheel (flexplate) protection. My 2 cents. HTH, Lefty71

I did not know the technical answer, but I was told that they were acceptable as protection against an unfortunate explosion and recommended by NHRA for that purpose. I was told by a friend that they would keep me from losing a limb, in an accident, so That was my reason for trying to buy one. I was told by CSI that no one in the country has them. They will have some in 6-8 weeks. I asked them to put me on the list!

I appreciate the replies, and I was just going off unofficial guessing...
I'm amazed by CF driveshafts, and structural supports/body panels in cars, but I just thought that impact and resulting shattering would make CF a "no go" as a shield for a transmission.
Obviously since they are being manufactured and sold for that purpose, and approved by "the powers that be" CF must work. I already know that any CF shield is way lighter than steel, and easier to form fit whatever it's covering, so I'll have to be on the lookout for one for a carbon fiber manual transmission scattershield/bellhousing. Maybe as a cover over a factory or aftermarket non-safety approved bellhousing to bring it "up to code"?
Anyone heard of that application?

Edit: I don't want to hijack, so if anyone knows a source, I'll take that info and run with it. I do have a billet steel flywheel from Brewers, so I've got that covered.

Last edited:
CSI said they are going to start making these next month. They have me on their waiting list. Apparently they are form fitted to the 727 automatic transmission. I will let you know when they call me with the go ahead on delivery!

I assume this is for your RoadRunner?? Let us know how easily it fits the car. One of my A-bodies is pretty well stock as far as motor mounting goes. That shield was too tight up against the floorboards where the tunnel begins for the bigblock application. I would assume you'll have a bit more leeway on a B or E-body. Actually a stock BB-727 Dart is very tight in the trans tunnel even with no shield.

Nobody has them including the manufacture. The aluminum shields are great but tunnel mods are usually necessary.
If its a race car, bite the bullet and cut the tunnel and make it larger. It's really not that hard. You'll be glad you did. The aluminum shield provides better protection to boot.
Doug

Do you need a big block or small block?
Doug

This is for my Roadrunner. I do hope this lady was not lying to me. I will call them and let you know how it goes. This is for a race car, so if this does not fit, I have no problem doing some cutting.

I was told by CSR (not CSI, that was a typo), that my order will be processed next week.
A friend of mine who has this same shield in his B-Body said, I will have no clearance issues with the stock tunnel.

CSR keeps stringing me on. Next week, two weeks? I can never get a straight answer them. I assume after four months of me calling every other week, they do not have them. Why don’t they just admit that and tell the truth?

My 1st Arrow tube chassis car had a homemade shield on the 727. It fit nice and covered the trans very well. Tube car so tunnel was not an issue. A couple years later I decided to actually meet the NHRA specs with a SFI cert shield. It clearly was not designed for a 727 explosion. Obviously designed for a glide. I made my own mounts, moved it back a bunch to cover the exploding area. I was very disappointed with this product approved by NHRA as a safety device. Not all of us drive bowties. But that was many, many years ago.
The blanket I currently have barely fits inside the stock tunnel of my Satellite.

Last edited:
I've watched some vids over the years on how to make CF parts....is it harder than what the vids show? Seems like someone would be jumping on the bandwagon so to speak and produce some product or is it too hard to jump through the red tape hoops to get the parts certified for racing applications?

Auto Transport Service
Back