• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor choice

Texas charger 73

Local time
10:09 AM
Reaction score
i know im gonna stir the pot with this one and probably blow it up, but i have some questions..

i have a 360 in a heavy car.. it has stock bottom, whiplash cam, aluminum heads, eddy performer intake, long tubes, rev man 904, 3;55 gears... i currently run a Edelbrock 1405(600 CFM) i have never ran anything else... i have always wanted to try a Holley in some form, but there is so many choices.. mechanical, vacuum secondary's. single or double pumper, front floats, side floats, 600-650-670-750,770 cfm, 4150/4160, traditional, brawler, quick fuel, demon... so many... i don't even know where to start in choosing a Holley to try on my car.. its just a street car.. i don't want to go to big or be too small. i would like something that's fairly easy to rebuild or tune starting out as I'm going to be learning the Holley.. what are your guys thoughts?

I always tell people to get ahold of Dominic thumper on Facebook. He's the carburetor go to guy.

Once again...a cryptic symbol that means ????? Almost as bad as Ebonics....I guess we're turning into an illiterate society, incapable of vocally expressing our thoughts, words and deeds....BTW....eating popcorn causes EXTREME horniness.....
BOB RENTON
Calm down Bob.
It’s going to be OK :thumbsup:

I ran a Holley 650 Avenger on my 360, but I had to clean and modify it to work correctly.
Not the best quality control on that one.

On a mild big block I have used and always liked a 3310-1. This is a 4150 series (has a front and rear metering block, regular jets in both). Has down-leg boosters (open in the middle, no little bar going across). Vacuum secondary (single pumper). 780 cfm. I’ve found these to be very configurable and tunable to whatever my needs have been.

If I were in your shoes I’d look for the equivalent except at maybe 650 cfm. Get something that uses standard Holley parts.

4150 AED Holley 750 DP. I have one on my 340 72 RR and I love it

And this guy's qualifications are....?????... Who is he....never heard of him b4...
BOB RENTON
He's well known, builds lots of carburetors for people all over the world. Drives a 9 second street car. Look him up on Facebook then you'll understand his qualifications are spot on. Highly regarded. Dominic thumper.

Ive just started tinkering with carbs so no expert here.
Though I would def not go too big, if it were me on a 360 I would not go higher than 600cfm.
With heavy car, gears etc I would choose a vac sec.

I did a ton of read up and talked to long time carb guys before diving into a Holley 650cfm Classic vac sec for my 413.
After lots of tuning with o2 sensors and vacuum meters it starts and runs like a clock and give power all the way up in the registry.
I even removed the electric choke as it was not needed anymore, just some feathering on the pedal and then go. It just wants to run.
Then I tried a similar Holley but 750, i could feel a bit more power up top but it was very picky to get it to get even close to the easy start/idle and throttle response as the 650.

My car is a heavy automatic 3.23.

Now Im going to test a Eddy AVS2 650 and then a Holley 700 DP just for fun and to learn what happens and how to tune them.

He's well known, builds lots of carburetors for people all over the world. Drives a 9 second street car. Look him up on Facebook then you'll understand his qualifications are spot on. Highly regarded. Dominic thumper.

He may be HIGHLY regarded by you, but to a large percentage of us, including me, who has never heard of him. I build and modify carbs (for my use only) as well and likely have just as much experience, but you've not heard of me either. Having a 9 second street car is wonderful (?), but I have mucho dinero invested in the stock market (I'm a day trader) and other investments (income properties) which provide, at least for me, a substantial monthly income.....and the feeling received is: nothing better than being solvent and liquid and owe nothing to anyone. BTW....i'm probably one of the 7-8 people in the world, that do NOT do Facebook, Snapchat, or any other social media venues or own a "smartphone" and I make my way in the world just fine.
BOB RENTON

Dominic is well qualified to build a carb for you. I have seen dozens of satisfied customers from a 750 to twin dominators.:thumbsup::popcorn2:

He may be HIGHLY regarded by you, but to a large percentage of us, including me, who has never heard of him. I build and modify carbs (for my use only) as well and likely have just as much experience, but you've not heard of me either. Having a 9 second street car is wonderful (?), but I have mucho dinero invested in the stock market (I'm a day trader) and other investments (income properties) which provide, at least for me, a substantial monthly income.....and the feeling received is: nothing better than being solvent and liquid and owe nothing to anyone. BTW....i'm probably one of the 7-8 people in the world, that do NOT do Facebook, Snapchat, or any other social media venues or own a "smartphone" and I make my way in the world just fine.
BOB RENTON
You just posted on social media. :thumbsup:

Dominic has a good reputation in the custom Holley carb world.
I use Dale Cubic @ CFM, but I’ve never heard / read anything bad about thumper dart

Give Dave @Woodruff Carbs a call , you will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED ! He has done alot of good for many people and he doesn't club you over the head with price !

i know im gonna stir the pot with this one and probably blow it up, but i have some questions..

i have a 360 in a heavy car.. it has stock bottom, whiplash cam, aluminum heads, eddy performer intake, long tubes, rev man 904, 3;55 gears... i currently run a Edelbrock 1405(600 CFM) i have never ran anything else... i have always wanted to try a Holley in some form, but there is so many choices.. mechanical, vacuum secondary's. single or double pumper, front floats, side floats, 600-650-670-750,770 cfm, 4150/4160, traditional, brawler, quick fuel, demon... so many... i don't even know where to start in choosing a Holley to try on my car.. its just a street car.. i don't want to go to big or be too small. i would like something that's fairly easy to rebuild or tune starting out as I'm going to be learning the Holley.. what are your guys thoughts?
While custom/pro-built carbs are nice I really don't think you need to go that route. You may have a stock-bottom 360 BUT you've added airflow with heads, cam, exhaust...so a 750cfm (1-3/8" venturi) version of any of the Holley-type carbs you mentioned will work well. I would start with a vacuum secondary in your case. Mechanical secondary carbs are great (I run them) but they take more work to fine-tune, and a wideband O2 is pretty much not optional anymore IMO to get them right with the way today's fuel doesn't color the plugs the same as it used to (at least out here.)
Look for a model with replacable air and idle fuel bleeds; this will make tuning it in much easier. Once you have it dialed in the 750 Holley will wake that combo up!

While custom/pro-built carbs are nice I really don't think you need to go that route. You may have a stock-bottom 360 BUT you've added airflow with heads, cam, exhaust...so a 750cfm (1-3/8" venturi) version of any of the Holley-type carbs you mentioned will work well. I would start with a vacuum secondary in your case. Mechanical secondary carbs are great (I run them) but they take more work to fine-tune, and a wideband O2 is pretty much not optional anymore IMO to get them right with the way today's fuel doesn't color the plugs the same as it used to (at least out here.)
Look for a model with replacable air and idle fuel bleeds; this will make tuning it in much easier. Once you have it dialed in the 750 Holley will wake that combo up!
Good advice^^^

On a mild big block I have used and always liked a 3310-1. This is a 4150 series (has a front and rear metering block, regular jets in both). Has down-leg boosters (open in the middle, no little bar going across). Vacuum secondary (single pumper). 780 cfm. I’ve found these to be very configurable and tunable to whatever my needs have been.

If I were in your shoes I’d look for the equivalent except at maybe 650 cfm. Get something that uses standard Holley parts.

EXCELLENT RECOMMENDATION.....I concur. Several years ago, I had a '71 Dodge Charger 500, WP23U1A****** and used a Holley 4150 R-3310-1 on an Edelbrock Torker II manifold and TF 727-B and a 3.55 rear gear. Converted to manual choke (Holley kit) and when jetted to my application gave great throttle response and decent MPG. Holley made a Model 4160 R-1850-? (~ 650 CFM) carb, as there were several variations, and could be tuned using standard Holley parts....something to consider. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Ive just started tinkering with carbs so no expert here.
Though I would def not go too big, if it were me on a 360 I would not go higher than 600cfm.
With heavy car, gears etc I would choose a vac sec.

I did a ton of read up and talked to long time carb guys before diving into a Holley 650cfm Classic vac sec for my 413.
After lots of tuning with o2 sensors and vacuum meters it starts and runs like a clock and give power all the way up in the registry.
I even removed the electric choke as it was not needed anymore, just some feathering on the pedal and then go. It just wants to run.
Then I tried a similar Holley but 750, i could feel a bit more power up top but it was very picky to get it to get even close to the easy start/idle and throttle response as the 650.

My car is a heavy automatic 3.23.

Now Im going to test a Eddy AVS2 650 and then a Holley 700 DP just for fun and to learn what happens and how to tune them.
If you have time this is the best option. I'm no pro by any means, I've had just about every carburetor there is over the years.. Quadrajets, Holley's, Demons, QF, Eddy's, Pro-form, Motorcraft, Marvel Schebler, etc, along with Vacuum and Mechanical secondaries. On my latest build I bought Ebay carbs, rebuilt them, tuned them then tried another until I found what I liked.

I don't necessarily agree with the constant advice on vacuum secondaries or the need for a choke. Heavy cars with the right gearing, a stout motor and a driver that knows that you don't floor it at 1,500 rpm do great with a double pumper, some motors for whatever reason need less choke than others? I had a 750 Demon (no choke) on a stout 400sb, I got so sick of choking that damn thing with my hand I swore I'd never own another chokeless carb! My current motor, I tried 3 carbs before buying a QF and with all of them it would cough and run like total crap until the choke was fully open? I locked the choke wide open and never had another problem. When I settled on the carb I wanted I ordered one without a choke and have never needed it and that's in Ohio.. -0 degrees and it starts?

Testing is an important tool. I tried an 870 Avenger (vacuum sec), 850 Demon (DP), 750 Pro-form (DP) and bought a QF 750 (DP). This is a stroked 400 (456), what I found was both the 870 and 850 worked very well except driving around town, the 750 Proform ran flawlessly everywhere but there was a slightly noticeable difference in the higher rpm's. The QF I bought (choke delete) flows better than a standard 750 so I gain a little of the top end back while running wonderfully around town. 16,000 miles and it never missed a lick, not even a hint of bogging, zero hesitation.

Auto Transport Service
Back