• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor suggestions - 625 or 750?

RBCharger

Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Finally got the 440 back together on my '74 triple black Charger. It fired right up. Carb leaks pretty badly - I need to break in the cam but don't want to use the TQ with the leaks. It looks like it's been "rebuilt" at some pint with lots of orange RTV. I think that carb goes into the original parts bin. Looking at Holley Street Demon as a replacement - either 625 or 750. Car has headers and a .488/.491 274/286 comp cams shaft. It's stock otherwise so compression will be fairly low (~8.5 to 1). I think the 625 will get it done - looked also at a 750 vac sec holley, but seems like more hassle. Any help/suggestions are appreciated. I think the stock one was 800CFM?

Last edited:
Personally, I would do a proper rebuild on the TQ. The 625 will do fine if no great expectations of high speed performance are on your mind.
Mike

Rebuild the thermo. Orange silicone tells us that it needs looked at.

why did you choose that larger cam? To put around at part thrortle? A 750 should be minimum.

TQs are great street carbs. Sounds like a damaged plastic body patched with RTV ?
At low street RPMs the 625 will probably have better throttle response, while the 750 will make more power at upper RPM.
So, it depends how the car is used.
I'm a fan of the Eddy AVS2, but the OP most likely has a spread-bore intake.

IMO a Holley 750 3310 is easier to tune than a Carter/ Eddy. Both are good carbs though. Not the cam I would choose with 8.5 compression.

Rebuild the thermo. Orange silicone tells us that it needs looked at.

why did you choose that larger cam? To put around at part thrortle? A 750 should be minimum.
Why would I be putting around at part throttle? Agree on the 750 - actually leaning towards 750 holley vac sec. Easier to tune.

IMO a Holley 750 3310 is easier to tune than a Carter/ Eddy. Both are good carbs though. Not the cam I would choose with 8.5 compression.
I'm headers and 4.10s and factory stall is 2000-2350? so combo should be fine w that cam.

Last edited:
Why would I be putting around at part throttle? Agree on the 750
Exactly, so why even consider a 625 for a 440?

this is where a thermoquad is good for part throttle with the small primaries, then plenty of flow when wide open.

Last edited:
Since I'm a Holley guy, I would suggest one of the 3310 style Holley's. They are easier to tune in my opinion. But a smaller carb like one of the Carter style can work very well in most applications.

You've got more than a few suggestions already (wow, lol).. If it were mine, it would prolly go with the bigger is better theory cuz i dont care about gas mileage on a '440. But importantly, whatever you change to, get the trans kickdown set back up properly so you dont open another can of worms.

HTH. Lefty71

You've got more than a few suggestions already (wow, lol).. If it were mine, it would prolly go with the bigger is better theory cuz i dont care about gas mileage on a '440. But importantly, whatever you change to, get the trans kickdown set back up properly so you dont open another can of worms.

HTH. Lefty71
Yeah I was looking at that. Looks like I'll need some bracket to adapt everything.

No sure if it's still true, the old 3310 Holley had the Mopar adapter for throttle & kickdown linkage. Maybe not today. Or the aftermarket styles may not consider that. Could take a bit of playing around. But the 3310 style is a really versatile carb.

Replacing a TQ with a Holley is a backwards move. Have a look at the extensive post on the FABO on TQs. Why the metering is better etc. Most likely cause of leaking TQ is missing/damaged O rings, easily fixed with a repair kit.

750 cfm in the carb style you like and understand how to tune.
I use a 750 on my 340 w/4.10’s & 360’s w/3.55’s.
My wife’s 360 has a roller comp @224@050 intake. It’s the same advertised duration. Cam card below for her 360.

0D37B758-4A46-4AF4-97DE-78FA2444A7D2.jpeg

I did order a 750 Holley Vac Sec. The TQ is in pretty rough shape. There are a number of vacuum lines that I'd like to eliminate as well on this car so the TQ is going into the parts bin.

I was watching the metering rod bar on the TQ during break in - it kept bouncing up and down. Is that common on the TQ?

I was watching the metering rod bar on the TQ during break in - it kept bouncing up and down. Is that common on the TQ?
The metering rods react to vacuum changes. Put a vacuum gauge on and see if it follows the bouncing action.
Mike

Met rods that move:
- if the cam is hyd, it could be because the lifters have not pumped up & vac is erratic. This scenario is unlikely to cause this.
- carb has leaking gaskets/seal
- I assume break in was fast idle, so met rods should have stayed down. If hyd cam, possibly wiped lobes.

Auto Transport Service
Back