• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor

Data Plate

Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
I currently have a Holley on my 69 charger 440 automatic no AC . I believe the original carb was a Carter AVS does anyone know the model number that would be original for the car. Thanks

Wow expensive I also saw a SA what is the model SA is the A automatic?

Start a wanted thread!

Last edited:
That carb wasn’t even restored.. rebuilt but not restored.

Here is an excerpt from an article on the history of Carter carbs.

"The 4 digit tag appeared in 1952, and was continued on until the end. The letter S and following letters, when present, have caused much speculation (mostly incorrect). In Carter’s terminology, an individual part such as an idle mixture screw was a single part; whereas two or more individual parts sold together such as a needle, seat, and gasket were sold as an “assembly”. Carter used the suffix letter S to denote assembly. Since all carburetors are composed of multiple parts, the letter S was appended to all carburetors using the traditional numbering system i.e. 938s. If a significant engineering change was made to the carburetor, the letter “A” would be appended to the S (i.e. 938sa). A second change would have the letter A replaced by the letter B (i.,e. 938sb). The highest engineering change of which I am aware is 4 i.e.938sd. Contrary to popular belief, the S DID NOT mean standard transmission, nor the SA automatic transmission."

The SA designation = S is Carter's description of an assembly. The A = an engineering revision to the origional design. For example: Dimensional revision, metering revision, component revision or similar changes. It does not mean Automatic transmission.
BOB RENTON

They are like "Hen's Teeth" to find. Searched for years for my 4429S, and finally found a good one at Carlyle this year for $100 that seems like it would run in it's condition. There is a vender on this site that restores them for a reasonable price- 6-8 week turnaround

Last edited:
I was also looking for a 69 AVS carb for a 440, I could not find one but I did come across a 71 AVS carb for a 440 HP engine that was in good condition with very low miles.
It worked so good I decided to keep it.

I was also looking for a 69 AVS carb for a 440, I could not find one but I did come across a 71 AVS carb for a 440 HP engine that was in good condition with very low miles.
It worked so good I decided to keep it.[/QUOTE
Points to ponder:
  • The '71 AVS carb, 4968 S, you located and the basic difference between the 1969 AVS you were searching for is: fuel metering components (it will be jetted leaner for emissions) both primary jets and rods plus secondary jetting.
  • The 4968 S carb will have a fuel vapor seperator connection and linkage operated valve assembly.
  • The 4968 S carb SHOULD have a hot idle solenoid assembly on the choke side of the carb, unless someone has removed it.
It will operate well, providing you re-jet it, the 1969 values.
Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Points to ponder:
  • The '71 AVS carb, 4968 S, you located and the basic difference between the 1969 AVS you were searching for is: fuel metering components (it will be jetted leaner for emissions) both primary jets and rods plus secondary jetting.
  • The 4968 S carb will have a fuel vapor seperator connection and linkage operated valve assembly.
  • The 4968 S carb SHOULD have a hot idle solenoid assembly on the choke side of the carb, unless someone has removed it.
It will operate well, providing you re-jet it, the 1969 values.
Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back