• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet fitment at sill plate question.

INTMD8

Local time
11:04 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently working on installing the carpet and getting to the sill plate edge, how do you get this to form over the top of this edge?

The sill plates are aluminum and don't seem strong enough to form the carpet down over this on their own.

I thought about cutting out some flat stock and clamping the carpet over that pinch weld with some vice grips for a while until it set.

Any suggestions appreciated, thank you.

up1y6T.jpg

OPvr9f.jpg

sj3zUw.jpg

What kind of car? I just screwed the sill plates down over the carpet and it seems to hold just fine.

1969 Charger. Most of the screws are on the outside edge, two inside edge. Didn't think it would form over the carpet but I will give it a try. Thanks!

Yes you fold it over that metal lip like you're doing in the first picture, then the sill plate holds it down...don't leave it so long that it lays on the outer flat surface and don't cut it so short that it doesn't fold over all the way, it'll hold it.

Ooh also....a small steamer works wonders when installing carpet...It makes the carpet temporarily soften and conform to all the funky angles, and helps it bend and form over that lip nicely too.

It looks like you're doing a very neat job too - looks great in that footwell. Better than the job I did on mine.

sill plates will hold down OEM style carpet.

Haven't tried any with the "mass backing".....

Auto Transport Service
Back