• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet install 73 rr console car

midnightrider1818

Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
Hey getting ready to install carpet in my 73rr. Bought a 2 piece off year one. My car is a console car and wondering how you guys cut the carpet for the linkage and where the console still covers it. Original carpet is long gone. Thinking about just cutting enough out for the linkage rod and where it goes through the tunnel

I cut X shaped slits instead of removing big sections.

This allows fine tuning and recovery if you get it wring.

Wrong...get it wrong !@#$%^&*() spellcheck!

Last edited:
I cut X shaped slits instead of removing big sections.

This allows fine tuning and recovery if you get it wring.

This is good advice (see above). On my car, also with carpet long-gone, I installed the carpet & got underneath the car and poked a Phillips screwdriver or whatever through the holes in the floorboard from underneath. That let me get pretty close locating stuff inside the interior. Maybe take a couple pictures and/or mental notes of what needs to go through the floor?

I did mine last year. I just made a close guess and cut a small enough hole to get the shifter through. Then trimmed what I needed. The hole does not have to be exact. There is plenty lee way.

Use a soldering iron to make the holes for the seats and stuff

I use a "box cutter" style single edge razor holder.

All good advise above, here are some pictures
20140123_122109.jpg
20140123_122025.jpg
if that helps.

F.Y.I.
When you put the sill plates back on, put a bead of clear silicone along the leading and trailing edges. Any water that gets in there will get wicked up by the carpet. Guess how I know.

Auto Transport Service
Back