• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter 3-step metering rods and corresponding jets/springs

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
I have an AFB that uses 3-step metering rods - has the pop up covers, etc. FSM confirms it. Someone stuck 2-step rods in it so I need to correct. Question - are standard height jets and standard piston springs used with the 3-step rods?

Yes I believe the jets are the same along with the step up springs.
Short term you can make flat covers as you are likely running on the small step of the rod if you have the raised covers.
I'll check my stuff when it gets a little warmer In the next few days.
I have a set of three step rods, covers and the original springs, I think.

The primary jets used with 3-step rods are taller. Pistons are different and springs are the same. My 1964 FSM shows this.

Last edited:
Are you working with a 4627 AFB? I have an assortment of jets and rods here if I know what size you need.

Vacuum spring is the same, Chrysler was pretty standard with the 604 spring in almost all models. 1 1/2" tall close wrap (same as your hemi). Pistons did vary. Normal 160-207 piston, like your hemi afb was used on some 3 step AFB. But NOT that 4327. It used a different piston, 160-223 hard to miss the different as it has a spring on top and washer. Same one used on the very common 66 4131 AFB. Can send picture if you need it.

If you look at page 14-60 fig 12 of the Dodge service manual it shows a picture of the correct piston and difference in jets for your AFB carb. Also it does spec out the correct meter rod 164, so not sure why your svm had a different value. Now the secondary jet does show a difference from the carter manual. .077 versus the carter .080.

Are you working with a 4627 AFB? I have an assortment of jets and rods here if I know what size you need.

It’s a 4327S. FSM has 16-405 rods but Dragoon Slayer has told me the Carter SM for a 4327 is a 16-164. So as close to that as I can find is my goal. If anyone has a spare set of those please let me know.

Thanks

If you look at page 14-60 fig 12 of the Dodge service manual it shows a picture of the correct piston and difference in jets for your AFB carb. Also it does spec out the correct meter rod 164, so not sure why your svm had a different value. Now the secondary jet does show a difference from the carter manual. .077 versus the carter .080.

I have the 67 FSM for Plymouth. I’ll double check in the morning to see if I pulled the number off the wrong column. I’ll check it for pictures of the piston. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are wrong too.

Thanks

It looks like I need a set of primary 120-498 (tall .098 jets) to work with 3-step rods. I’m not finding much on eBay or Google so if you do have a set of those laying around please do let me know.

I would just as soon stay as close to original as I can but depending on finding out exactly what I need ( pistons, jets, rods, 2-step rod covers if I have to go that way) I’ll put in a WTB posting.

Thanks.

I’m now thinking these are pistons for the 3 step rods. Seem to fit a description George provided with a small washer at the top. Can you verify?
9EE0D960-776E-485B-9DE7-8303043AA4E1.jpeg

Apparently I got way off on my columns - that rod isn’t even for a RB engine. You’re right - a 16-164 rod is correct for a 440 auto.

That picture above does appear to be of a 3-step piston. I had an old AVS handy, still with the domed piston covers. Unfortunately it had 2-step rods and a shorter piston (2 step I believe) in it.

Boy, these 50 year old carbs went through some crazy stuff over the years.

That is the correct piston for your carb, but not all 3 step used it. So I am not sure what the logic for that piston was at carter. I assume it reacts different to vacuum. I do have an extra pair of used 164, but you do need to get correct jets. Maybe the shop still has them, or maybe they had to destroy then to remove them.

I have a pair of 16-164 rods, tall covers, springs and 2-step pistons. Unfortunately, I do not have the little springs that hold the rods to the pistons. Closest tall primary jet I have is .101". I usually go up a jet size in secondaries, so .080 would be OK in the back.

Here is a pic of the bleeds to check for clearance. The economizer is hidden as I mentioned, check it first with the .492, then you can get the larger bleed checked but do not go deep or you open the economizer and defeat it's purpose.

AFB_AVS_airbleeds_zps9b83323f.jpg

nitrohemi still has a nice 4327-s for sale; $300.00

Yeah, I just did the idle bleeds. Didn’t think about the interior one. Now that I see most cleaning stuff doesn’t get the ethanol crap out of them I guess I have some more tinkering to do with it.

Thanks for the replies - not sure what I can do for jets. Guess I’ll do some checking around at Mikes and Harms. Let me do some checking, at least I know there are some rods around. I’ll probably go with .080 jets in the rear but those are just standard Carter jets right?

When I bought the core and sent the carb off to be restored it didn’t have any jets in it. Looks like they just stuck any old jets in it that were at hand.

Thanks all.

nitrohemi still has a nice 4327-s for sale; $300.00

Thanks - got too much money in this one already. Sure looks pretty. - just not set up to run.

I have a pair of 16-164 rods, tall covers, springs and 2-step pistons. Unfortunately, I do not have the little springs that hold the rods to the pistons. Closest tall primary jet I have is .101". I usually go up a jet size in secondaries, so .080 would be OK in the back.

Do your pistons look like the ones I posted this morning? I would appreciate if you could check sometime.

Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back