• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter 3705 base gasket?

fmahannah

1963 Dodge Polara Max Wedge Tribute
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
Rebuilt my two Carter 3705s on max wedge intake using kits #4051A from quadrajet parts. Noticed the base gaskets were different in the kit from what were on them when taken off the manifolds. It looked like there were vacuum passages on base plate where on old gaskets they were not covered but on new ones they are covered. I am attaching a pic of what the new gasket looks like (the one on the far left). Also noticed differences in the venturi gaskets where old ones were cut between some passages and new ones were not.

The reason I am asking is I had issues with the carbs after rebuilding and have had to remove them several times, and each time the area of the base gasket that is covering the passages on the base plates has swelled upwards towards the carb more to the point where the last time I put them back on in the same positions the carb actually rocks back and forth on the gasket?

I can post pics of the swelling I am talking about later but does anyone have a pic of what the correct base gasket would look like for 64 max wedge carter 3705 carbs or where I can buy them?

Thanks
Forrest

Q4051A-w600-2.jpg

I am not sure of the look, but the Carter number is 1A-213 for the 3705 and 3861. I would think the one in middle. What did the one come off look like. The one on right looks like the hemi which is a different number.

I am not sure of the look, but the Carter number is 1A-213 for the 3705 and 3861. I would think the one in middle. What did the one come off look like. The one on right looks like the hemi which is a different number.

The one that came off had been permatexed so was destroyed but it definitely had sections that went across the center between the four holes, but they did not cover up the recesses in the carb base plate that looked like vacuum passages to me (maybe for metering rods?) I used the one on the left and they now have very lumpy raised sections everywhere that the old gasket was not covering them up.

The parts manual says 2465063 and that converts to the Felt pro 9840 which looks like the one on the left from rock auto site.

Here are pics of what that gasket is doing, notice the areas raising up a lot which means they are being drawn into the carb areas? Also a pic of the base of the carb that was on this gasket for reference

IMG_6047.JPG IMG_6048.JPG IMG_6049.JPG IMG_6050.JPG

The gasket shape on the intake is correct, as all the open areas in the carb base are covered.
I do not like those thick gaskets, too soft.
I would use standard 1/16" gaskets & cut out the centre so that it looks like the middle gasket in post #1. The centre section of these gaskets have been known to be sucked into the engine [ an ouch! moment ]; removing this section will not hurt anything. Edel 750 gaskets should fit.

The parts manual says 2465063 and that converts to the Felt pro 9840 which looks like the one on the left from rock auto site.

I got the felpro 9840 gaskets and have a question about install. One side is textured and the other side is smooth with a number stamped into it. Does it matter which side goes down? Glad these are not the same soft fiber type material of the ones I showed pictures of that are disintegrating.

Thanks

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back