• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter AFB Hemi Carbs cleaned up.

Hemi2Much

Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
Just thought I'd try to clean them to see how they would turn out.
Not too bad. I'll still need to rebuild both of them.

processed-37e212a2-5b03-484f-a432-e55a8d318b39_7Pr7pVOF.jpeg processed-c18682a8-8f78-4926-8a35-0655d3cc8d6c_7JQWfNq0 (1).jpeg

Looks awesome! What was you process in cleaning them?

I soaked them in really hot water for about 20 minutes took them out and washed them off with just soap and water. After they dried, I soaked them in Alumabrite
for about 10 minutes and washed them off with a paintbrush and soap.
After they dried, I soadblast them, and afterward, I rinsed them really well with hot water and blew them out really well with the air compressor.
After you pull them out of the Alumabrite they will have a black film on them, Most of that will wash off with soapy water and a paintbrush. I didn't bother disassembling them because I have plans to do that when I rebuild them. I just wanted to clean them up before I even disassembled them. They have been sitting on a shelf in a machine shop for many years and were filthy.

Are you going back as stock on the carburetors? I notice there is no choke plate or choke parts on the rear carburetor. They did clean up nicely.

Are you going back as stock on the carburetors? I notice there is no choke plate or choke parts on the rear carburetor. They did clean up nicely.
Probably not because I will be running headers and not the stock manifolds.

I have a couple of carbs that need cleaning myself, I’ll give your method a try as they came out very nice

I soaked them in really hot water for about 20 minutes took them out and washed them off with just soap and water. After they dried, I soaked them in Alumabrite
for about 10 minutes and washed them off with a paintbrush and soap.
After they dried, I soadblast them, and afterward, I rinsed them really well with hot water and blew them out really well with the air compressor.
After you pull them out of the Alumabrite they will have a black film on them, Most of that will wash off with soapy water and a paintbrush. I didn't bother disassembling them because I have plans to do that when I rebuild them. I just wanted to clean them up before I even disassembled them. They have been sitting on a shelf in a machine shop for many years and were filthy.
Soda blasted them?

Auto Transport Service
Back