• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter AVS choke question

Curt Chambers

Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
73 Dodge Charger, 440, with a Carter AVS. My engine builder talked me into an Edelbrock 440 Performer intake. I regret that decision now, but so be it.

I noticed the choke well is different than a stock intake and it doesn't look like the factory style choke will work. My car didn't have a choke when I bought it so I have nothing physically in hand to compare. But looking at photos of an AVS choke, I just don't see how it could work with this manifold.

Anyone else have this combo on their car? What did you do for a choke?

I’m gonna need some pictures. The AVS wasn’t stock in ‘73. A TQ carb was. The Performer intake is a spreadbore intake designed
For the TQ.

Not much under the hood is stock on this car. But TQ or AVS, it doesn't matter. What is the choke that is supposed to work with this manifold?

Edit: OK, I see what you mean now. The AVS choke drops into the well, while the TQ choke has a side cover that looks like it would fit the choke well (just going off the pictures). I don't have the manifold that was on it anymore, but IIRC it was the oval shaped well that fit the AVS style choke.

So the question remains, is there a choke that will work with this setup? Thanks.

Last edited:
73 Dodge Charger, 440, with a Carter AVS. My engine builder talked me into an Edelbrock 440 Performer intake. I regret that decision now, but so be it.

I noticed the choke well is different than a stock intake and it doesn't look like the factory style choke will work. My car didn't have a choke when I bought it so I have nothing physically in hand to compare. But looking at photos of an AVS choke, I just don't see how it could work with this manifold.

Anyone else have this combo on their car? What did you do for a choke?

Just change it to a manual choke. Don't think the performer rpm has a heat crossover?

As rumblefish stated, that manifold is for a thermoquad carburetor. It does appear to have heat crossover, however, if you look at the choke well, the bottom is squared off while most choke I have seen are rounded. See pictures.

Here is the bottom view, shows the heat cross over.
edelbrock4401.jpg

Here is the view of the choke well. notice its square on the bottom
edelbrock440.jpg

here is the style of choke that should be used, but its rounded off to fit a stock manifold
carter choke.gif

Looking at some other setups with this choke, the rounded part may overlap the square bottom on the eddy manifold.

Last edited:
How about an electric choke kit for your AVS carb.

Good idea! You just have to drill and tap a hole and you can use the Edelbrock AFB or AVS electric choke. I’ve done that before.

Auto Transport Service
Back