• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter BBD 2 barrel carb issue

William Moore

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
So my dad has a 383 dodge polara with a carter bbd 2 barrel carb. My question is if the car sits a few days the car won't start unless he puts gas down the carb. But once it is running the car seems to run fine with no hesitation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx Brad

I don't know that it's a carb-specific issue really.
We've had several discussions on this board about cars losing their prime after sitting recently.
In short, the consensus seems to be that it's the gas itself causing the problem.
The alcohol blend crap they sell us these days tends to either evaporate from the carb as they sit
(or even in some cases, from the line, too!).
Some guys have gone so far as to install a small electric pump inline to prime the line each time
before starting; others like me just choose to crank away until the mechanical pump fills the carb
back up again, for better or worse.

sounds like a diaphragm issue. it may be worn out.

welcome to FBBO

maybe post these types of questions in the specific forum
covering what you're looking for
or the General discussion forum, 1st off not as many viewers
this is only the Welcome wagon, not really a Q&A tech section
it's for sharing a few photos/stories, getting to know one another etc.

good luck

I feel it's carb/brand specific. My fury has a Carter carb. Let it sit a week the fuel is gone. It cranks lot to get it to prime. My Challenger...after a week with a Holly and no choke, 2 pumps and it's running. Both cars are a regular fuel pump on the block

Last edited:
Have you pulled the pump shot out to look at it?? If so, and its leather, gently feather it open a little with your finger. Dont oil it, put it back together and try again. If it works better or not, you'll have an idea which direction your going.

Auto Transport Service
Back