• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter BBD question

Ben Simpkins

Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
Hi everybody, this week I decided to rebuild the carb on my 66 satellite with a 361. The carburetor on my car is a Carter BBD 4297 model. My question is what is the cone shaped rubber piece called and what is its purpose? It sits just above the bowl and every time I started it up it would always leak from there . Also, this is my first time tearing into a carburetor so if anybody has some tips, I would appreciate it! Thanks

IMG_1311.JPG

That is the accelerator pump. The rebuild kit should come with a replacement. Check the throttle shafts for slop. The Carters are known to have leaky throttle shafts.

It is a bowl vent. If you have fuel coming out there the fuel level is to high. Host of possibilities. Float, float setting, needle&seat, fuel pressure.

That is the accelerator pump. The rebuild kit should come with a replacement. Check the throttle shafts for slop. The Carters are known to have leaky throttle shafts.
Nope its a bowl vent.

Right...3rd shift this week lol. The rebuild kit should have a replacement rubber parts. If fuel comes out of the vent the float is too high/sunk or the needle and seat has malfunctioned.

I concur with the others....its the fuel bowl vent. The little arm lifts or opens the little rubber disc when the carb is on the hot idle setting. The rebuild instructions will give the setting dimension as well as the how to adjust location. If fuel is coming out of this opening, the static fuel,level is too high, due to incorrect float setting and/or lesking fuel needle valve or deffective floats. The Factory Service Manual (FSM) will give a very detailed explanation of the carb's operation and all the fuel metering orifice dimensions, cleaning instructions, all adjustments. Bear in mind that when selecting the rebuild kit, that your carb is a Carter 1-1/2" BBD which is totally different than the Carter 1-1/4" BBD used on the smaller displacement engines.
FREE downloads of the year, make and model of the MOPAR FSM on line for your particular vehicle.
BOB RENTON

Yep as said thats the external bowl vent. And it should be open at curb idle which is why the accel pump arm lifts it off its seat at curb idle. Then once on the gas it should close so all bowl venting is dont by the internal bowl vent when driving on the gas. Ron

If you run into trouble or just give up I have a rebuilt BBD from a ‘64 361 that I will never use again. Works fine. It’s yours for the price of shipping.

Auto Transport Service
Back