• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter carb tag color

Scott Kiger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
I have the original Carter carb to my 68 RR, but it’s missing the tag. It’s a 383 four speed with A/C. What color should it be? I would like to get a repop made. Thinking red but I’m not sure. Also was the date code on the tag the same as what’s stamped on the body or could it be later? If so how much later? Thanks in advance for the info.

You can use mine as a general guide. I know for a fact that my 4429S is original to the car. The tag is natural aluminum. The date code on the tag is 0998 (4/8/68) and the car has a SPD of 4/23/68.

Last edited:
You can use mine as a general guide. I know for a fact that my 4429S is original to the car. The tag is natural aluminum. The date code on the tag is 0998 (4/8/68) and the car has a SPD of 4/23/68.

Do you have any idea what the date code stamped on the carb is by chance? Curious as to how much of a difference there is between the stamped date code and the one on the tag.

Base stamping next to carb# is D8

Auto Transport Service
Back