• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter Carb where to post

mach123

Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
I got my 72 charger started today for the first time since I bought it, yahoo but doesn't idle. So checking to see who I would ask about it, if it is a vacumm line or anything else for me to look at. Thanks or if anyone on here knows let me know and I can post pics. Thanks:upside down:

It is a carter C2 96275 or a S to replace 5, tried looking for a site to get info on this carb or how to set idle. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN2384.jpg
    DSCN2384.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN2385.jpg
    DSCN2385.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCN2386.jpg
    DSCN2386.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCN2387.jpg
    DSCN2387.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 253
If I understand your question correctly... Your 2nd pitcher down the screw head on the far right "with a hex head" on the carb throttle linkage, were the throttle cable is connected, is the Idle screw adjustment, out/counter clockwise to lower clockwise to raise... You then you could also set the air fuel "with a vacuum gauge" {preferably} to the highest reading by, to lean turn them in &/or turn them out the richen it, they are the 2 larger screws w/spring on them, in the front of the carb at or near the baseplate.... You can also loosen the big black round choke thermostat & lean it out, by turning counter clockwise, to get it off the fast idle settings... Or possibly the throttle cable itself, could be pulled back to far keeping the throttle blades open, just loosen the bracket, with the nut on top & readjust, so it has some slight free play at idle with the choke off... Or maybe a multitude of other internal, hose o&/r vacuum issues... You could/should buy a book on "How to tune a Carter/Edelbrock AFB carburetor" ,or a "Factory Service Manual /B]" for your specific year & make of car... Try Mancini Racing they have them on sale I believe.

Possibly; In the 1st photo, to the far left does that "nipple painted blue" have suction/vacuum at the fitting, if it does, which it probably does, for a brake booster hose or something, that could be a very serious vacuum leak, causing it to run away idle or not idle at all...

Thanks, That blue nipple you talk about is not a vacumm but right behind towards the drivers side there is the brake one taken off but has a plug in it for now aguess. I do try and get books, but when they come from usa the shipping is sometimes 3 times the cost of the book lol So is this carb good to keep and if so I will order books on it, but if not then what one is a better one to use. Thanks for all the info and yes that will help lots.

Sure it's fine for stock, restoration or a real mild performance build, it can always be rebuilt, or have someone rebuild/modify it for you, for your needs... What is the plans for the 72 Charger ??, will it be a driver or just a toy or restoration or what ??, that will dictate what kind or style of caruretor you should by, no use wasting money on something that your going to change latter possibly...

Summer driver and would like some jam, I need headers, these are twisted and new twin exhaust to the back.Thanks

I got my 72 charger started today for the first time since I bought it, yahoo but doesn't idle. So checking to see who I would ask about it, if it is a vacumm line or anything else for me to look at. Thanks or if anyone on here knows let me know and I can post pics. Thanks:upside down:

Hi, sorry for the question but I can't figure out how to create a forum.
Thx Brad

Mac123,
The Carter carb shown in your pixs must be an after market Edlebrock (aka "Eddy") as origional Mopar carb used a divorced choke, not electric as shown. The same can be said for the throttle linkage side .... it looks to be a modified GM, plus there is no kick down rod unless your application is a manual transmission.
It is possible that the idle and off idle transition circuit will need "tweeking" to adapt / tune to your engine. Look at all the previous suggestion as well for possible "fixes". Just my opinion of course.
Bob Renton

Hi, sorry for the question but I can't figure out how to create a forum.
Thx Brad

Click on "Forums" near the top of this or the home page. Then scroll down to the topic you want to post in. Click on that then click on the yellow button "Post New Thread" and have at it!

Get a hold or DVW,he races with 2 of them!!He is a member here on the board
2214tc.jpg

Mac123,
The Carter carb shown in your pixs must be an after market Edlebrock (aka "Eddy") as origional Mopar carb used a divorced choke, not electric as shown. The same can be said for the throttle linkage side .... it looks to be a modified GM, plus there is no kick down rod unless your application is a manual transmission.
It is possible that the idle and off idle transition circuit will need "tweeking" to adapt / tune to your engine. Look at all the previous suggestion as well for possible "fixes". Just my opinion of course.
Bob Renton

I'm hoping he's figured out his problem by now :)

Mac123,
Bob Renton

It is the 9000 series Chrysler Type AFB carb. Tune it as mentioned above like any Carter AFB.

It is the 9000 series Chrysler Type AFB carb. Tune it as mentioned above like any Carter AFB.
DS,
Chrysler original AFB's of that era were the AVS style and were divorced choke units. Later production units (1973 340's) were Carter Thermoquads. The OP did not state what engine they were applying the carb to. IF it IS A '72 Charger, it will LIKELY be a 400 or possibly a 440 if a big block OR possibly a 318 or an LA block variation.
Perhaps, the owner should source an origional carb for the application rather than trying to adapt an Edlebrock, aka "Eddy" / Weber which are variations of a generic "one size fits all" design. Looking again at the pixs, it appears that the application is an LA block (distributor in the back). Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

I did not say it was original Chrysler Carter. I said it was AFB 9000 series Chrysler (TYPE). Carter/Federal/Edelbrock made the after market 9000 Series AFB. This one is Chrysler Type with Fuel inlet on proper side and Chrysler like linkage on Driver side.

Also, AFB is not AVS. AFB through 67 for Chrysler except the Hemis through 71. AVS started in 68. It is an over that counter carb.

I did not say it was original Chrysler Carter. I said it was AFB 9000 series Chrysler (TYPE). Carter/Federal/Edelbrock made the after market 9000 Series AFB. This one is Chrysler Type with Fuel inlet on proper side and Chrysler like linkage on Driver side.

Also, AFB is not AVS. AFB through 67 for Chrysler except the Hemis through 71. AVS started in 68. It is an over that counter carb.

Point #1 I definitely know the differences between the origional Carter AFB and AVS designs relating to the original Chrysler Corp issues. I welcome a debate over the various subtle year to year variations as l have many years experience applying and "fixing" drivability, tuning and performance applications.
Point #2 Define Chrysler "type"....what does this mean exactly. Generally, "over the counter" means purchased at a Pep Boys or similar venue, where the stores profit margin is the driving factor. They will sell sell you want not what you need.
Point#3 The origional Hemi rear carb application had a hot air choke up to the 1971 issue then it was changed to a manual choke. All other late model AFBs used a divorced choke design. The origional Chrysler AFB designs used a 3 step primary step up pistons and 3 step metering rods allowing for more accurate primary fuel mixture adjustablity. The Edlebrock 9000 series was developed based on origional tooling by AMF/Carter using broad based GM design. Edlebrock designs typically use a 2 step piston and metering rods making accurate tuning a little more problematic.
Point #4 The linkage side, shown in the pixs, is not typical of a Chrysler design, but something/someone cobbled up to adapt a "universal" carb to a specific application. It just looks incorrect.
To me what the OP uses and how he goes about achieving his expected results is of no consequence....it just not look "correct" for a Mopar. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Ok, what is point? All I was stating is that the AFB 9000 series carb is used. And that it is the Chrysler type. They made several variations of each to meet GM/Ford/Chrysler needs for an easy drop on. For example what side of the top had fuel input. They also had different linkage. No they were not exact matches to original type, but generically close enough. You claimed it was a GM type and it was not. GM has fuel delivery on the driver side. Yes many of these models moved to electric chokes. They were modernized carbs. That carb is the Carter 9000 Series that was sold as a Chrysler version. Carter had a similar CFM car that was the GM version. Go look up the Federal document and you can find the manual and part numbers for these carbs.

If you know the difference between AFB and AVS why did you state that AFB of that era where of the AVS type? AFB where made before AVS. AVS came later and replaced AFB, other then hemi.

I think you need to go check your notes on step-up rods. Your wrong. Early stuff had 2 step, including the hemi carbs which I am pretty familiar with. Then there are 3 Step in some AFB and AVS, then there are different length rods to control how long or short your in the economy portion of the rod. Then there are different vacuum pistons to match, Jet heights, and the cover too. None of which has anything to do with the type of carb on his car and how to help him tune it.

Ok, what is point? All I was stating is that the AFB 9000 series carb is used. And that it is the Chrysler type. They made several variations of each to meet GM/Ford/Chrysler needs for an easy drop on. For example what side of the top had fuel input. They also had different linkage. No they were not exact matches to original type, but generically close enough. You claimed it was a GM type and it was not. GM has fuel delivery on the driver side. Yes many of these models moved to electric chokes. They were modernized carbs. That carb is the Carter 9000 Series that was sold as a Chrysler version. Carter had a similar CFM car that was the GM version. Go look up the Federal document and you can find the manual and part numbers for these carbs.

If you know the difference between AFB and AVS why did you state that AFB of that era where of the AVS type? AFB where made before AVS. AVS came later and replaced AFB, other then hemi.

I think you need to go check your notes on step-up rods. Your wrong. Early stuff had 2 step, including the hemi carbs which I am pretty familiar with. Then there are 3 Step in some AFB and AVS, then there are different length rods to control how long or short your in the economy portion of the rod. Then there are different vacuum pistons to match, Jet heights, and the cover too. None of which has anything to do with the type of carb on his car and how to help him tune it.

I'm still trying to understand what constitutes a "Chrysler type" of carb. Is it the flow capacity or the mounting bolt configuration or what?? I restate: Why not use a Chrysler style/part number carb instead of a Chrysler "type" carb?
Regarding the metering components, I'm referring to what Mopar used, from mid 60s thru middle 70s, not ancient history, including the early hemi or the Sonoramic Commando cross ram 383s with 2 4bbl AFBs. I've tuned just about every combination of AFBs from HP 273s thru 440s and the AVS series from first introduction thru the 1973 models and even including the T-Quad (whose metering components are totally different). I'm very much aware of the differences between the two (2)step and three (3) step up pistons and tods. Certain meteting components between the AFB carbs and AVS carbs CAN interchange, including some primary booster assemblies. Installed jet heights are the same and can interchange. IE, Carter part # 120-389 and #120-401 are the same installed height. Two step pistons and rods use a flat cover plate and the three step pistons and rods use a raised cover plate. Edlebrock tuning kits were designed to service Edlebrock carbs but can be used on Mopar applications IF the user is aware of differences and make the necessary adjustments per application.
As far as the numerous GM variations, two step rods, pistons and jets will interchange with Mopar applications. As well as certain primary booster venturi assemblies and a few external components (accelerator pump, some operating levers and rods), and some secondary booster venturi and velocity actuated secondary counterweighted butterfly valves.
It all comes down to the owner and what is wanted and/or the look the person is trying to achieve....in spite of what you or I think.
BOB RENTON

Do you really not know what a Carter 9000 Series carb is? You can find info easily on web and learn about it. You are really hijacking his thread now?

A 120-389 and a 120-489, or a 120-398 and a 120-498 are NOT the same installed height, despite being the same jet size. And these are jets in Chrysler carbs of your vintage that you have tuned, so you should know this. Heck, the Mopar service manuals discuss this in some sections. So your statement that "Installed jet heights are the same and can interchange." Is also not correct. Some can, but not all. I think we should end this or start a different post, none of this has anything to do with the original post.

Auto Transport Service
Back