• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caster load capacity for car dolly

eagleone1983

Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
What type of casters are best for a car dolly? All I need is to make a rear dolly that attaches to the spring hanger points but I'm not sure what a safe weight capacity would be. As far as size I think 8" will be sufficient. Oh yeah and the car...'69 RR is completely gutted.

If you know the weight of the shell, divide by 4 and that will be the amount of weight each caster will have to support. I built a dolly using 6 inch steel casters. They were not that expensive from HF. I think they were rated at 330/350 lbs.

So I'm thinking 500 should be sufficient then. I have no idea what the shell weight is.

Anything in the range of 400-500lbs. will do the trick for a gutted car.At best the shell only weighs around 1000-1200lbs. and that might be on the high side.

The best car dolly for the money are harbor frights . I have had them for years. The trick is when you get home with them is to repack the bearings, not oil, pack grease in them, one handed push now!!

Use a hard wheel. They roll better than the urethane units over the floor. You can go with the hard plastic or metal. The urethane mashes down some making it like pushing a car with under inflated tires. Northern Tool has quite a selection too.

All swivels are nice but you will need two people to move it as its like herding cats. Goes anywhere but where you want.

All swivels are nice but you will need two people to move it as its like herding cats. Goes anywhere but where you want.

I've got all swivels now and it does go everywhere you don't want to go....thinking hard about putting the fixed on the rear.

Oh damn, this brought back some memories. No worries guys I've long been done with the car dolly. I ended up finding some industrial casters that had hard urethane wheels. Worked out awesome and rolled with ease.

Auto Transport Service
Back